Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Build or buy

Old 05-04-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build or buy

Need some advice from the JK jeep'n world. Last year I had to trade in my beloved YJ for a JK b/c we had our 3rd kid. At the time we were very tight with cash so all i could truely afford was the Sport. So I traded in my YJ (4.5" BDS, 35" Pro-Copm MT's, 44 rear, ARB's front & rear, and snorkel) for a more or less stock vehicle and now that our budget is a bit less light my mind began to wonder. Does it make sense to buy a used Rubicon (here in DC they really see trails) or just stick with my stock Sport and hope to have money in the future to modify? Keep in mind I would need - new gears, lockers, lift and tires as the bare minimum.

What has been the overall reliability of JKs over the years? There is one that is a 2009 with 59k miles (all highway) on it.

Thanks for helping this poor sole who needs to start wheel'n again........

Cheers !!!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

I would slowly build as the budget allows. It seems for me, every time I flip a ride, there is a loss of funds someplace.

Rock the Sport, start to slowly build it.

Very close to you also.. Also doing the same.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steed77
I would slowly build as the budget allows. It seems for me, every time I flip a ride, there is a loss of funds someplace.

Rock the Sport, start to slowly build it.

Very close to you also.. Also doing the same.
I agree with this. If you're not trading up to the new engine/interior, I say rock your sport proud and mod as funds allow. Especially if it has been a reliable workhorse for you this far.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly look at the Rubicon as a waste of money if you want to seriously wheel your Jeep.
You pay significantly more for factory lockers(notorious for busting), Auto Sway Bar Disconnect(1300 dollar piece of junk that can easily be substituted for some easy disconnects), 4.10 gears stock(you will probably end up re gearing lower eventually), Dana 44 up front(you can find one much cheaper somewhere else used or upgrade to Dynatrac 44), transfer case geared lower(you can do this yourself later for much cheaper or go atlas),factory alloy wheels and 32" tires which will probably end up for sale on here or craigslist because you will probably go bigger and swap it all out, oh and a pretty sticker on the side of your hood(you can buy a RUBICON sticker for like 20 bucks and trick people if you need the name that bad).

I bought a bone stock 2012 JKU Sport and It will stomp over any Rubicon and I still haven't spent as much as I would have on a Rubicon. But that's just my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd have to say it depends on your final build. If you plan on building a monster JK...then by all means, stick with the Sport and end up replacing all of the components as your budget will allow. (Meaning, Atlas transfer case or Rubicrawler, Prorock 44 axles, RCV shafts, gears, ARB lockers, etc.)

However, the Rubicon does already come with plenty of upgraded components that will not need to be upgraded as often or soon, and if you are planning on keeping a decent, not over the top build that you still DD and expect to get decent mpg's on, then a Rubi might just be the way to go.

For me...it would all be a matter of the final cost of what your trade in vs. new would be, and comparing that to the individual parts. (Also consider the labor costs, if you are having a shop do the upgrades)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was in the same position just a few months ago. If you're going to buy new then I'd go with the the sport and do the upgrades as money allows, but for me I found it was best to get a slightly used Rubicon for the price of a new Sport. I waited a little and found a great deal on one. Im very happy and I'm starting my build with an already very capable jeep. Good luck either way you'll love your new JK!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
I honestly look at the Rubicon as a waste of money if you want to seriously wheel your Jeep.
You pay significantly more for factory lockers(notorious for busting), Auto Sway Bar Disconnect(1300 dollar piece of junk that can easily be substituted for some easy disconnects), 4.10 gears stock(you will probably end up re gearing lower eventually), Dana 44 up front(you can find one much cheaper somewhere else used or upgrade to Dynatrac 44), transfer case geared lower(you can do this yourself later for much cheaper or go atlas),factory alloy wheels and 32" tires which will probably end up for sale on here or craigslist because you will probably go bigger and swap it all out, oh and a pretty sticker on the side of your hood(you can buy a RUBICON sticker for like 20 bucks and trick people if you need the name that bad).

I bought a bone stock 2012 JKU Sport and It will stomp over any Rubicon and I still haven't spent as much as I would have on a Rubicon. But that's just my 2 cents
Careful with that stomping all over any rubicon stuff. Hang with, maybe but stomp is a little strong.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the building it up yourself. I bought a 2012 jk sport, base model except for connectivity package. I've bought rubi wheels and tires ($900) and rubi shocks and springs from a JKUR with factory hard top and towing package ($200) and now sit higher than 2012 rubicons. People in our area (I'm in Arlington) order their rubicons and take them directly to get lifted so my parts are like new, bought from the forum. I sold my stock 16s so I've only put in about $850.

All the other stuff will come later. Next thing is rock rails and skids, I'll take me off a rubi if their cheap or buy elsewhere. Then there's standard quick disconnects that are 1/10th the price of the electric one. I dont see a need to pay msrp for a rubi when I can build my own from their "hand me downs" at these prices.

And by the way, I'm still on warranty because it's their parts, doesn't matter that I've done the work myself
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1054299038.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	312641   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2687682083.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	312642  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattgt5

Careful with that stomping all over any rubicon stuff. Hang with, maybe but stomp is a little strong.
Oh no, it's a thorough stomping. When I get locked up, you can change that to raping.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK
Oh no, it's a thorough stomping. When I get locked up, you can change that to raping.
Throw a 3.5" lift and 35"s on a Rubicon, and I have trouble believing you "stomp" it at all.

Quick Reply: Build or buy