Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

To build or buy

Old 01-28-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To build or buy

Sometime this spring important planning on getting into a jku... My dilemma is im not sure whether i want to buy a 2012 rubicon and only change out tires.. Or buy an older basic model and upgrade it instead. I was looking at a 2007 Sahara with the 4.10 tow package for around 23k. I would go with an ome lift with 33's, transfercase out of a rubi , new bumpers and a possible hemi swap... and either beef up the d30 or swap it if needed. I feel since i can door all the work my self i should be able to come out cheaper than a new rubicon.. Important mainly just looking for input on why this would be a bad idea... This jeep will be used for dd. towing my pwc and trips to Colorado... Im not worried about downtime of modifications i have a 96 cherokee for backup .

Last edited by lpguy; 01-28-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

depends on how much it's worth it to you? the new engine? is that a priority? how hard do you wheel it? my X is just fine for me. I wheel it alright but when it comes times for lockers, ya I sometime have to back down a little but it's gets what I want done! my X has suprized me! if it were me I would build an older one. and if your doing a hemi swap, I would say the older one!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Half the fun it wrenching your junk in my book. Vote goes for the 07 and Hemi.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Probably not the best guy to respond to this because I have yet to really start my build. However, my line of thinking was better to build. I bought one of the last 2010 JKU's on the lot and as such, got a decent deal. I got the base model with 2 exceptions. It had a hard top, which I will probably sell, and it had 3.73's. For the $9000 to $11000 diference between what I bought and the Rubicons, I figured I could do some serious damage in mods. I'm about to drop a pair of big bills on wheels and tires (starting w/ 35's and steel simul beadlocks), which I would've done with the Rubi. The RK 3.5 Midarm flex I will order next month. Again, would've done that to the Rubi too. Dropping in 5.13 gears front and rear? Well, since I ultimately want 37" tires, I would've eventually done that with the Rubi.

So, now we talk about upgrading or reinforcing that D30 up front, and perhaps get lockers and there is my first true expense, and most of my major mods are done. Not knocking the Rubi by ANY means, just having some trouble justifying the extra expense for a daily driver/weekend warrior. I have to admit, I'd like the navigation system at some point, but there are far to many aftermarket systems that don't incur the mark-up you have with a Chrysler installed product. I think they cater to (or prey on) the guys who really need to roll all the upgrades into financing.

That is my mostly uneducated opinion, but EVERY SINGLE TIME I post something here, someone teaches me something valuable.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

building an older one seems to be the smarter idea... i can do the stereo work myself if needed... i guess another question i have is for those who have had both, is there that big of a difference vs. 2007 a 2012 besides motor as far as little changes they have made over the years? only thing that comes to mind is the e disconnect... and the factory appearance of locker switches important not gonna be disconnecting it enough to make me spend the extra money for it.. Ill see sand and mud more than mountains due to where i live.. i like rescue green and older orange anyways... i just wanted someone with experience to point out something i may not be thinking about . I know i won't have warranty but it seems like even oversized tires could screw you out of that... and a lift seems depend on every dealership...
Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Freak

If you are planning for a hemi swap then save the money and get the 07. What would be the point of buying a 2012 if you eventually want a hemi?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

go for the 07 and hemi
Old 01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

If i bought a 2012 i wouldnt do the swap.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

For a daily driver, I'd buy a '12 for the better interior, warranty, and zero miles to start with. A Rubicon with a few mods is very capable, and for the stuff it can't do, you probably wouldn't want to risk your DD on anyway. For a trail toy, I'd definitely buy an '07 and junk the drivetrain and suspension.

Quick Reply: To build or buy