Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bug and tar remover stains on plastic

Old 07-27-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug and tar remover stains on plastic

I'm not sure this is the place for this question but I used some Meguire's Bug and Tar remover (I know, I tested in an inconspicuous area) and it seemed ok but some spattered and oversprayed on the fender extenders and front bumper. It's a light white haze that I can't get off. I will say the only thing I tried was Simple Green and lots of rubbing but minimal help. I wrote Meguire's and they quickly responded but recommended a Heavy Duty vinyl cleaner (theirs) and it was almost $12 to clean something that shouldn't have happened (according to them and no warning on the bottle) Yes, I actually read the bottle. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try using an pencil erasure then wipe clean with water.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

you can wet down with wd-40, will make look like new, or you can get some of that turtle wax liquid ice, rub down with that.....i use wd-40 on all the under carriage, and fenders to keep mud from sticking to them, before i hit the trail.......and possibly to help slide over stuff.....
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blkpearl
you can wet down with wd-40, .....and possibly to help slide over stuff.....
BLKPEARL you are the man!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those things work wonders. They won't scratch up your paint, they'll take off the bugs and tar, and they take off any of the white residue from waxing that get on your plastic. These things rock.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Son of a Gun on the fenders and it removes ALL stains so far. That would be really cheap to try.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

99% of the bug/spray removers are made of Mineral Spirits with other chemicals. One of the best things you can use is 100% Mineral Spirits from your local Wal-Mart or hardware store. It will NOT harm your finish, plastic, glass, paint, etc. A good soapy/water hand wash afterwards and your golden. In fact a pre-wash, Mineral Spirit wipe down and then a soapy/wash followed by a nice wax job will blow your mind. Mineral Spirits gets down in the porous areas in the paint finish and lifts out impurities which is why your paint is so brilliant after doing the above process.

EDIT: NEVER use Lacqure Thinner...Mineral Spirits ONLY...Lacqure Thinner (also sold by Wal-Mart, etc) will burn into your finish...and plastic, etc.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks all so far. I just washed it and was able to get about 1/4 of it off with a small sample of All purpose cleaner from Mequires (a goodie bag from some car show with one of my fun cars). I will be trying the cheaper versions suggensted here as I have some of the mentioned cleaners. One thing which I forget that has worked wonders but as I said I tend to forget is to spray some WD 40 on the front end BEFORE a trip and the bugs just wash off. I have done it and it works but the car does get dusty easily and I assume Jeeps really would.

Quick Reply: Bug and tar remover stains on plastic