Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Broken windshield...not responsible?!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyruspura
Dude, tell me about it. If I had been on a scooter when mine got hit, I would be dead. Like actually in-the-grave-with-a-hole-in-my-face dead. I had safety glass sticking out of my face. Luckily I had sunglasses on, but it scared the $hit out of me.

Check this out:

F' that, looks more like an assassination attempt, what girl did you piss off Glad your OK
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w00dchuck
F' that, looks more like an assassination attempt, what girl did you piss off Glad your OK
Haha, tell me about it. I was coming off of the 405 onto the 101 and thought that someone had taken a potshot at me. There was that one crazy ex though...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, man, that always sucks.

FWIW, the sign has no legal weight. As far as proof goes, your sworn testimony is valid evidence. You are your own witness, any others? Plus the photo. Whether that's enough is up to the judge/jury. Do you have a small claims court there?

but, is the effort worth it....?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

If it can be repaired without windshield replacement, most insurance companies
now waive the deductible. That means they pay fully for the repair. Whether it
can be repaired depends on several factors. Take it by an automotive glass shop
and discuss it with them. BTW: My son has three repairs on his F-150's windshield,
each of which looked just like that, and all are barely noticeable after the repairs--
and only if it's brought to your attention. It really is quite amazing how they can
often make those bullseyes disappear. He paid $35 just last week to have one
repaired.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure who your Ins. company is., But I live in Cali and when that happens to me I just report it to my ins. company along with the license plate number and pay my $50 deductable. My ins. goes after the other company and deals with the dmv and such, i dont have to do squat.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rockemsock
So on my way into work today, i got a nice little reminder that it's good to not be on a scooter.

So i caught up to the truck that caused the destruction...and look what the sign says on the back!!

Oh you can buff that out... (that was on fire when I got here)

I don't know, he has a sign...

I bought 0 comprehensive for my jeep after somebody slashed two tires (my neighbors? Daughters boyfriend?)

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
Just suck it up and pay the bill. It seems you were driving too close. Take it as a lesson learned. (a cheap one) Don't follow trucks so close.
Horse crap.

I've never had a busted/cracked windshield from being directly behind an irresponsible truck or trailer.
One nasty, immediate cracked windshield came from a trailer that was going north while I was going south. He had mud and gravel caked on his equipment trailer tires. It threw the rock off the TOP of the tire. Closing speed of twice the limit, plus the top of the tire moving at twice his speed = one high velocity rock.
Another "bullet hole" came from a dumptruck in an adjacent lane. He was spewing rocks all over the place. A rock fell off, bounced off the road, then into my windshield.

Trucks hauling gravel/rock are obligated to cover the load as a preventive measure. If the load isn't covered, it's usually against the law in most places. Those stupid signs on the backs of trucks mean nothing.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by saltman
Just suck it up and pay the bill. It seems you were driving too close. Take it as a lesson learned. (a cheap one) Don't follow trucks so close.
This is the reason POS truck like that are on the freeway. The owner of the truck has obviously mad a conscious decision not to put the truck in road worthy condition. I can see unsecured debris in the picture.

Take the picture to your insurance company. The trucking company will say it was clean and empty. You have proof otherwise.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

The highways are disintegrating....there's so much debris on them that even a small car can do the same damage to anyone.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen to me this past winter. I saw the rock coming through the air, it was kicked up by a car tho. I slowed down, hoping it would hit the front end, rather than the windshield. It actually hit the absolute bottom of the windshield, another 1/8th inch lower and it would have hit the frame. Well, it took a big chunk of glass out, and the window cracked out from there!! Cost around 200 to replace.

Quick Reply: Broken windshield...not responsible?!