Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Broken windshield...not responsible?!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockemsock
So on my way into work today, i got a nice little reminder that it's good to not be on a scooter.
Dude, tell me about it. If I had been on a scooter when mine got hit, I would be dead. Like actually in-the-grave-with-a-hole-in-my-face dead. I had safety glass sticking out of my face. Luckily I had sunglasses on, but it scared the $hit out of me.

Check this out:

Last edited by cyruspura; 06-30-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know it sucks, but good luck getting anything from them. I used to work for a contractor and when people claimed damage from our trucks the general response was "prove it" which is very hard to do.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

i am on my second windshield ,and i will not get another till the dmv tell me too.. bought a defender bug shield and this helps out a little on the low flung rocks on the highway... talking to a guy in mexico..trying to get some windshields cheap..alot of the tempered glass is made over thier...i will let you guys know how much we can get them for over here..i know it is a long way for some of you guys ,but if they are pretty cheap buying in bulk might be worth it...the cheapest i have found for my jk is $240.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyruspura
Dude, tell me about it. If I had been on a scooter when mine got hit, I would be dead. Like actually in-the-grave-with-a-hole-in-my-face dead. I had safety glass sticking out of my face. Luckily I had sunglasses on, but it scared the $hit out of me.
YIKES! I don't feel nearly as bad as you did, i'm sure. That is a MASSIVE hit! You would surely have been dead.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cyruspura

Check this out:

WTF did you hit? A house?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know how the law is in your state. However in Indiana that is totally the drivers/companies responsibility and it is also a big no no to drive with loads not covered all though idiots chance it daily.

If the truck was really dropping of that much crap you should have contacted LE via a non emergency number.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

no number on the Truck, so if i want to get this settled, i have to go through the DMV...oh joy...
He was breaking the law, so that driver is responsible as much as the company is. #1 he was supposed to have a tarp over the truck bed while in transit. #2 he was supposed to clean off the tail gate before trucking.

I'd take the photo, send it to the DMV and have them track it down.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ARubicon
i know it sucks, but good luck getting anything from them. I used to work for a contractor and when people claimed damage from our trucks the general response was "prove it" which is very hard to do.
The "prove it" issue is obviously an impossibility. I don't have video.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by saltman
Just suck it up and pay the bill. It seems you were driving too close. Take it as a lesson learned. (a cheap one) Don't follow trucks so close.
I got news for you. You don't have to be following too closely. Those trucks can sling rocks a LONG way. Most of them have 11.00 X 24.5" tires on them. When a rock gets caught in those, it's goin a damn long way in a hurry.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually I wasn't even in his lane, and I was probably an eighth of a mile behind him...but rocks were bouncing off cars left and right as we all struggled to get around him in morning commute traffic. Not sure where you live, but there are always trucks on the freeway around here...and you don't have to be within 200 ft to get a rock in your windshield...rocks skip off cars, shoot into the air, bounce on the ground and do damage. Welcome to California mass transit...no lesson to be learned, just bad luck.

And I am paying the bill...the $60 bill isn't worth the headache of contacting anyone. I just wish they had a company number on the side of the truck.
DUDE, I to am in San Diego and feel your pain. The last broken windshield I got I didn't even see a truck on the road, and since it was at an off hour there wasn't as much trafic on the road either (weren't bumper to bumper, but couldn't change lanes)Like he said, you can't learn anything from mass transit traffic, shit happens, it just does

Quick Reply: Broken windshield...not responsible?!