Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Broken windshield...not responsible?!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken windshield...not responsible?!

So on my way into work today, i got a nice little reminder that it's good to not be on a scooter.

So i caught up to the truck that caused the destruction...and look what the sign says on the back!!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

....all that means is that the TRUCK DRIVER is not responsible. The company however, IS. I hope you got the number.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Got behind a cement mixer truck this morning....heightened the pucker factor until I got around it.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
....all that means is that the TRUCK DRIVER is not responsible. The company however, IS. I hope you got the number.
no number on the Truck, so if i want to get this settled, i have to go through the DMV...oh joy...
Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just suck it up and pay the bill. It seems you were driving too close. Take it as a lesson learned. (a cheap one) Don't follow trucks so close.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

Damn.... that sucks!!!
Your insurance will not cover it for free??? Here in Florida they will.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
Just suck it up and pay the bill. It seems you were driving too close. Take it as a lesson learned. (a cheap one) Don't follow trucks so close.
Actually I wasn't even in his lane, and I was probably an eighth of a mile behind him...but rocks were bouncing off cars left and right as we all struggled to get around him in morning commute traffic. Not sure where you live, but there are always trucks on the freeway around here...and you don't have to be within 200 ft to get a rock in your windshield...rocks skip off cars, shoot into the air, bounce on the ground and do damage. Welcome to California mass transit...no lesson to be learned, just bad luck.

And I am paying the bill...the $60 bill isn't worth the headache of contacting anyone. I just wish they had a company number on the side of the truck.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry then. That sucks.

It is my understanding (I am no lawyer so take it fwiw) that unless the driver is grossly negligent in how they secured the rocks in the vehicle that it is truly not their responsibility. The expectation is that you use caution when following something like that. If they didn't have it covered or something like that and stuff was flying it would be their fault.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been thinking about putting a sign on my Jeep that reads "WARNING: STAY 2000ft AWAY Not responsible for bullets flying from this vehicle."
Old 06-30-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
Sorry then. That sucks.

It is my understanding (I am no lawyer so take it fwiw) that unless the driver is grossly negligent in how they secured the rocks in the vehicle that it is truly not their responsibility. The expectation is that you use caution when following something like that. If they didn't have it covered or something like that and stuff was flying it would be their fault.
It's just bad luck, no biggie, I'm over it now...but at the time I was a little less calm.

Quick Reply: Broken windshield...not responsible?!