Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Brand new Jeep - where to perform maintenance and what is allowed for mods?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Jeep - where to perform maintenance and what is allowed for mods?

Drove my Rubi out of the dealership a couple months ago. So far I only owned used rigs and did all maintenance by myself, for fun and also to save $$$. Do I really have to use dealership service now to preserve warranty ? Or at least can I use some other mechanic who can do regular maintenance for me and still warranty will be preserved (any recommendation on reliable and reasonably priced shop in San Diego, CA is welcome).
Also, what mods I can do without hurting the warranty and where I can do those? I want to go for bumper change, lift, wheels, tires and probably some more.

thanks!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I haven't gone to the dealer for any of the usual maintenance like oil change or tire rotation.

As for warranty.... Every dealership is different. They can say they will back your warranty up no matter what, but really it's Chrysler who decides to carry on with the warranty work.

A lift kit will usually void the suspension part of your warranty only. Let's say your radio stopped working. You shouldn't be denied warranty work cause your new 3" lift caused your radio to stop working (I don't see how that's even plausible.)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK.nick
I haven't gone to the dealer for any of the usual maintenance like oil change or tire rotation.

As for warranty.... Every dealership is different. They can say they will back your warranty up no matter what, but really it's Chrysler who decides to carry on with the warranty work.

A lift kit will usually void the suspension part of your warranty only. Let's say your radio stopped working. You shouldn't be denied warranty work cause your new 3" lift caused your radio to stop working (I don't see how that's even plausible.)
All in all... plz dont take your jeep back to a dealership of anykind to get maintenance work done! Period.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Millerman999

All in all... plz dont take your jeep back to a dealership of anykind to get maintenance work done! Period.
Lol, Jordan your jeep has no factory parts to it!!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millerman999
I've got the "what not to do" part, thanks. What SHOULD I do though? I realize that doing maintenance myself is out of question as well if I want to keep my warranty alive (and perhaps I'd rather have official history of maintenance if for some reason I will have to sell the Jeep within next 3-4 years). So what are my options?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call the dealer and ask about the maintenance, if they say you can do it your self... Have them note it on your account.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by armor
I realize that doing maintenance myself is out of question as well if I want to keep my warranty alive
Why do you say that? You can still keep your warranty and do the maintenance yourself. Just keep records. When something goes wrong they have to prove that it was your fault to void your warranty.

I know you haven't been around here for long but, if you look around here you will see pretty quick that, unless you have a VERY special relationship with your dealer, most feel (myself included)....

LIFE LESSON #1....NEVER take your jeep to a dealer for anything other than warranty work.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by armor
Drove my Rubi out of the dealership a couple months ago. So far I only owned used rigs and did all maintenance by myself, for fun and also to save $$$. Do I really have to use dealership service now to preserve warranty ? Or at least can I use some other mechanic who can do regular maintenance for me and still warranty will be preserved (any recommendation on reliable and reasonably priced shop in San Diego, CA is welcome).
Also, what mods I can do without hurting the warranty and where I can do those? I want to go for bumper change, lift, wheels, tires and probably some more.

thanks!
My .02...
The last time I was at the dealership was when I bought it. Barring something traumatic, I don't see any reason why you would ever take your jeep to the dealership. I say, to hell with the warranty... take off your muffler, coil lift, and 35's. Sell your stock rims/tires, and you'll get half your money back.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got 2 years "free" oil changes and such at my dealership. I'll take it there.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swear my dealer takes a sledge hammer to any part that works good on my jeep because when I get it back something else is wrong! Thieves.

Quick Reply: Brand new Jeep - where to perform maintenance and what is allowed for mods?