Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

braking when trying accelerate after starting

Old 07-23-2021, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default braking when trying accelerate after starting

Im sorry if I have missed this topic somewhere. My 2014 JK is automatically stopping and braking on its own. When I start the jeep up, put it in drive and hit the gas it stops the car and continues to brake on its own trying to stop the jeep from going. It happens for about 50- 100 feet then it stops until I start it up again. I have ABS and traction control light on. alot of times my downhill assist light will come on too. I ran a scan and replaced wheel speed sensors but nothing else showed and its not fixed. Any ideas why the brakes have a mind of their own? about 20% also not shifting correctly. Its an automatic. It takes a long time to shift and I have to slow her down to get her to shift and sometimes when it downshifts its hard.

Last edited by rockhoundsam; 07-23-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Are you sure all brakes are applied, or could you have a sticking caliper? I had a sticking caliper on my 2012. Recently a coworker had similar symptoms to a sticking caliper and his problem ended up being a collapsing brake hose.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhoundsam
Im sorry if I have missed this topic somewhere. My 2014 JK is automatically stopping and braking on its own. When I start the jeep up, put it in drive and hit the gas it stops the car and continues to brake on its own trying to stop the jeep from going. It happens for about 50- 100 feet then it stops until I start it up again. I have ABS and traction control light on. alot of times my downhill assist light will come on too. I ran a scan and replaced wheel speed sensors but nothing else showed and its not fixed. Any ideas why the brakes have a mind of their own? about 20% also not shifting correctly. Its an automatic. It takes a long time to shift and I have to slow her down to get her to shift and sometimes when it downshifts its hard.
What was final outcome of your issue? I'm having same issue. Don't think it can be stuck caliper. I can't check for heat as Jeep wont get over 5mph and I can't move enough to generate heat. Once I put in D and I touch gas, ABS locks up. I can tell it ABS for the way its braking - jittery. It's doing this at 5mph. I can't move more than 10-15ft. I can idle and move far as I want, but soon as I touch gas, it locks up. ABS and TC lights are on. Seems electrical or sensor? First time it happened in last 48 hrs, I turned off ignition and restarted and it was fine to get home. Then was fine in the morning for short 10 mile drive...now doing it again and not resetting.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:44 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Sure sounds like an ABS problem. I think the first thing would be to read the codes.

Quick Reply: braking when trying accelerate after starting