Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

brakes saved my new jeep and possibly my life today

Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes saved my new jeep and possibly my life today

i know everybody says the brakes suck, but let me tell you they saved me today! i was doing 65 on highway by me heading to Home Depot for xmas lights when my exit was coming up, i started heading over to the shoulder. there was a civic 4dr in the middle lane (3 lanes) and he started into the right lane next to me and then sped up. i was down to about 50 mph since my exit to the parking lot was about 300-400 ft away when he decided he wanted to get in the shoulder in front of me. so i braked a little and let him in. there was a parking lot about 100 yards before Home Depot that people take sometimes to get to Home Depot for no good reason being that they will have to come to a stop sign anyway. well this d-bag decided to slam his brakes to the point there was smoke from his tires and take that exit instead of the real HD exit. So, i slammed mine hard and went from 50-10 real quick while to guy behind me almost smashed me if it werent for his last second move back onto the highway where he risked getting plowed down by the oncoming traffic. so, the civic a-hole went his stupid way and i was waiting for him at the entrance to the parking lot where he had a stop sign, he was laughing! so my gf said let it go and i parked. the scub bag had the nerve to park 2 spots from me and chuckle while he got out of his car. you get the point, we exchanged words and i made him feel like a moron in front of his 80 something year old dad by telling him how his stupid move put his fathers life in jeopardy. anyway, i dont know if its because my car is still new, but the brakes did their job, didnt lock up, and kept me from having a really shitty day. oh and after that i noticed there were abnormally high amounts of bad drivers then saw the moon. i definitely notice the correlation between the two. anybody else?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Jedi

I glad there was no accident, and your brakes worked like they were supposed to. I drive for a living and I have seen it all. I've often thought about upgrading my brakes with some aftermarket rotors and pads, thinking i could stop faster if something pules out in front of me. I really didn't consider the possibility of stopping to fast that the guy behind me couldn't respond fast enough. Regardless, I feel sorry for the person who is unfortunate enough to meet my steel bumpers.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
JK Freak

well, for one... that ass to just sit there and laugh tells me he did it intentionally. The guy is mental... I would have waited for him to go into Home Depot and then left him a nice present.

Fucking people these days ... I have a short fuse with idiots like this.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi

"European" wranglers have bigger Brake Calipers probably because US "brakes" are not good enough for European rules, I think.

So I do not know why You dont get the "better" brakes that we get. But then 15" will not fit (:

So the smallest rim size is 17" for the European Wranglers, need to have enough space for the calipers. Maybe some steel 16" will fit.

Anyway I was reading a Swedish article that they were amazed that a new vehicle (4 years old model) like the wrangler JK have so bad brakes, and then we have bigger calipers than the US models.

The bad brake statistics came from

"Bilprovningen (the Swedish Motor Vehicle Inspection Company) is by appointment of the Swedish government solely responsible for inspecting all vehicles registered in Sweden.
"

The normally check every single Vehicle every Year, so we have to take our car there for inspection.

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 12-11-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

remember to A.M.I. high when driving. ( you can google it)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Soul Rebel
Hey man, Girl friends are a life saver!, what I mean is if it wernt for them we would make A lot of dumb desisions and probley end up in jail Haha
My wife saves me all the time hahaha
Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

I got to try out my ABS yesterday too, because of all things a Hummer H3 pulled out in front of me without looking. Very nearly t-boned him and I was only going 30.

Felt kind of weird compared to ABS in other vehicles I've owned, it pulses much quicker. Reminded me a foot massage, haha.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GREEN-MACHINE
remember to A.M.I. high when driving. ( you can google it)
Sound like my boss at work , even if he was getting the big picture he had no idea the guy was going to SLAM on his brakes that is a harsh move period , maybe the OP was a little to close to the civic and didn't have enough space couhison , but no matter how well you drive you can never controll the other driver so shit happens sometimes so forget it and move on because their are millions of shitty drivers out there waiting to give you a new story
Old 12-11-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5

Sound like my boss at work , even if he was getting the big picture he had no idea the guy was going to SLAM on his brakes that is a harsh move period , maybe the OP was a little to close to the civic and didn't have enough space couhison , but no matter how well you drive you can never controll the other driver so shit happens sometimes so forget it and move on because their are millions of shitty drivers out there waiting to give you a new story
My following distance would have been better if he didn't cut me off in the first place. One thing I learned from goon from an Infiniti coupe to a jeep is give more cushion. I'm ok with idiots because I feel sorry for them. But not when they laugh afterward at almost causing a pile up.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I am thinking of getting bigger brakes regardless because I tow a 15 ft renken and my motorcycle trailer to the tracks in the summer. Where can I get the oem big brakes or should I get teraflex?

Quick Reply: brakes saved my new jeep and possibly my life today