Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Brakes Failed

Old 07-26-2007, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Failed

Driving home today, the brakes failed! Luckily I was driving up hill and there was room on the road shoulder - else I would have hit the (ironically) Jeep in front of me before I was able to get to the E-brake & stop. Felt like the anti-locks were going, but there was little to no actual braking. I was traveling at ~30 mph and was intending to come to a slow stop in traffic - no reason what so ever for the anti-locks to engage (was coasting slowing before I applied the brakes).

Anyone else had this happen? I am having it towed to the dealer tomorrow....
Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa! Keep us updated on this one!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
HEK
JK Freak

Another one for the books....glad you're OK, personally I have not had that experience...is yours an auto?... not that it matters but I use the engine to slow me down as I down shift a lot and maybe now I'll try the brakes more often to see if it is something that can happen to me as well...thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

There is an ABS flash recall that might fix it
Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like the recall issue - check the label on your driver's side door and tell us what your build date is.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 PM
-

hooolyyy S$#T ....that has got to be the scarriest thing next to your JK catching on fire lol
Old 07-27-2007, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Not quite as bad as catching fire

My build date was 2/13, doesn't look like the existing ABS recall affects mine... but anything is possible. Getting towed to the dealer this morning, and I'll post the outcome.

Keep your hand near the e-brake and be ready
Old 07-28-2007, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Dealer found nothing - no codes, nothing on the physical inspection, and they test drove but couldn't reproduce. Their recommendation was for me to drive and return to dealer if "concern" occurs again. I did call DCX and logged a claim/issue with them as well - but they stated they don't take action outside of the dealer.

I'm pretty sure it was a problem with the electronics - either the ESP or ABS. The other thought I had was it could be related to the stall recall - the DCX rep stated my JK is impacted (even though my build date is outside the recall info I read) and that I should be getting a letter. Maybe it stalled at the same moment I braked, and it caused the ABS/ESP to get confused ????? (I have had ALL the dashlights 'flash' on while driving on another occation - which I think is a symptom of the recall).

Overall - can't believe the dealer recommendation was to give it back to me, and let them know if it happens again. Next time I might not be able to avoid a wreck (or a cliff !).

Will keep posted if anything else happens.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 AM
-

... thats why i hate computers, they are more unreliable than anything!

..2nd year model now.. hopefully by the 5th+ all the problems will be fixed
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 AM
-

well my dad died in a car accident because his break like snapped or something,, anyway, i;ve been on a normal bike and onet ime the break broke and i couldnt stop!......i was going down hill so..i guess in a car with ur kid has to be really scaarry

Quick Reply: Brakes Failed