Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

boat and a roof rack...?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boat and a roof rack...?

okay, im heading to college in about a month. im a sailor, usually race jy15s (a two man boat) and since im leaving for a school in the mountains of georgia, sailing and space are going to be a problem. so i saw a laser sailboat for sale here in beaufort for the regatta this weekend..do u guys think it would be possible to find a good rack for my 4door that could hold a 130lb hull and have enough room to rope down a mast and boom. id like to put lights on it too..tryin not to break the bank, what suggestions do u guys have? theres a lake about 30mins from my school (lake lanier) near atlanta.

another question, would there be anyway to make it easier to lift the hull up there myself?

thanks for the help guys
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

congo rack would work. it holds alot. Look on craigslist. I got mine for 200 bucks with crossbars.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

just checked craigslist, nothing in my area or the surrounding ones..
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

I used to have a Laser back in the late 70's and carried it on a hardtop CJ. I used some rollers that I got at a boating supply store that were for trailers. Can't remember exactly how I rigged them but I did have to use a couple of pulleys to get it up there.

I would think that the Yakima Racks with their Hully Rollers would work.
A couple of PVC tubes would handle the 2 piece mast.
Then you would also need something to roll it down to the water.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cppower
I used to have a Laser back in the late 70's and carried it on a hardtop CJ. I used some rollers that I got at a boating supply store that were for trailers. Can't remember exactly how I rigged them but I did have to use a couple of pulleys to get it up there.

I would think that the Yakima Racks with their Hully Rollers would work.
A couple of PVC tubes would handle the 2 piece mast.
Then you would also need something to roll it down to the water.
awesome, im just not thinking about gettin into the laser fleet, been sailing jy15s since i was about 6...and im 18 now, so thats a good chunk of time. the laser im looking at is a little older, but i could do some gelcoat to fix that. and it comes with a dolly to get it to the water. will a yakima rack go on a jk. im looking to find maybe a safari lookin rack and throw some lights on it as well. then i could use it for my snowboard as well. good suggestion tho. thanks man.

anyone else?

Last edited by LaxAHolic; 06-23-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that a Congo Cage would be the cheapest route. It's beefy and holds a lot of weight. I just ordered one for my roof top tent.

I also wanted to buy used, but nothing in my area.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

anybody have pictures of it?
would be awesome, thanks.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running a congo cage with an upgraded Con-ferr safari basket, I got the cage with load bars for 200 its pretty stable. Its rated at around 400 I think, I've had my spare tire and high lift as well at 2 bikes up top with no problem. Also if you find a cage with out load bars let me know I'm trying to sell mine.

this one is with the load bars
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

I am running a warrior rack! You can get it in three parts! Front light bar, rear bar combo and then add the basket later! Has four light mounts on the front and the rear bar has 2! I got the whole package at once for less then $750.00! But I think you can get the front and rear bars for around $350.00 or less! I dont have a catalog in front of me!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codyjames
I'm running a congo cage with an upgraded Con-ferr safari basket, I got the cage with load bars for 200 its pretty stable. Its rated at around 400 I think, I've had my spare tire and high lift as well at 2 bikes up top with no problem. Also if you find a cage with out load bars let me know I'm trying to sell mine.

this one is with the load bars
How much are you trying to sell it for? What are the dimensions (width)? Where are you in mass? I'm looking for a rack like that, although not sure I like how skinny yours is. are the load bars under the rack necessary?

Quick Reply: boat and a roof rack...?