Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Black Box

Old 12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also records audio. (Stop reading if you have heard this one..) The most frequent exclaimation recorded just before impact: "Oh, Shit!"
The most common exclaimation from people living in the south: "Honey, hold me beer...Watch this!"
Old 12-05-2007, 12:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade
It also records audio. (Stop reading if you have heard this one..) The most frequent exclaimation recorded just before impact: "Oh, Shit!"
The most common exclaimation from people living in the south: "Honey, hold me beer...Watch this!"
Hey? How did you know I said that? You got one of them fancy fan-dangled listenin' do-hickeys in my jeep?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it bothers me. I guarantee the black box information will be used, by insurance companies, against us in the event of an accident. Add to the list: TPS ESP TCS anti roll.....And now the government is going to mandate additional gas mileage requirements. I had my YJ for almost 20 years. I'm thinking of keeping the JK until it turns to dust. That way I can yank all the electronic BS the government has mandated
Old 12-05-2007, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

You shouldn't be too worried unless you are driving recklessly, and in that case you should be caught, and good thing if the black box got you. Some one in a thread similar to this a week ago said near their house someone got into an accident doing 115 in a 35. This person deserves to be busted and the box is what busted him, but if you are only doing like 5 or 0 over then you should't have to worry since the person still should have seen you, and gotten out of your way.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Doesn't bother me. I've been in law enforcement for 20 years and was in the traffic division for 5 years. That computer info is just a small part of the entire case. Traffic crash reconstruction can be done which will confirm the computer data or disprove it. I don't think anyone would go by computer data alone. You have to investigate the entirety of the whole crash. Hope this helps to ease your mind a little. Oh, and don't worry about the black SUV's following you around.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

The black box is not always a bad thing... My wife got into an accident a couple years ago where she t-boned another car that pulled out in front of her.. About 10 witneses stated she was speeding... Some even stated she was going 80 mph in a 45.. My wife ..NO WAY... Crash reconstruction show she was traveling at 47 mph.. But the first judge just went with what the witneses stated.. Anyway... It took us 6 months of fighting to get the courts to read the black box.. .. Finally they pulled the data.. Guess what 46mph per the box.. "Case Dismissed"... The box proved she was in the right..

Just my story.. So I don't mind it being there..

Last edited by 1BADJK; 12-06-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

this would scare me if i drove a sports car but my jk cant makre it over the speed limit most of the time so i guess ill ignore it. like i did my squeeky clutch for the last year
Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

It stuns me how pussified some of you are. Neither the insurance companies nor law enforcement should have ANY right to access, or require EDR data. Regardless of how you drive.

It is whimps like you that are leading us down the primrose path to a police state. Idiots.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:28 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugene the jeep
Like I noted in the other EDR thread: It stuns me how pussified some of you are. Neither the insurance companies nor law enforcement should have ANY right to access, or require EDR data. Regardless of how you drive.

It is whimps like you that are leading us down the primrose path to a police state. Idiots.
Easy there big guy - you've only got one post here and it was made with the intension of getting into peoples faces? Seriously, I think you can still get your point across without all the extra rhetoric and I would be grateful if you would please try. Thanks.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-11-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I don't think it will ever get tot he point where tickets can be issued because your box says you were speeding. I know that some of the local communites around me have installed the stop light camera's, and the supreme court decided after the fact that you can not issue a ticket to something a police officer did not physically witness. Based on this, if a cop doesn't see you speeding, all he can do is warn you.
I don't know where you live but here in NH the police can and do issue tickets to drivers based on photo evidence. In addition, they have caught felons using GPS locator data from their cellphones, onboard GPS systems and even OnStar. I guess, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't worry, but I sure don't like this level of government intrusion. Oh yeah, if you rent vehicles frequently like I do (business), be very careful about obeying the speed limits, etc. Rental car companies are using black box data and OnStar info to prevent people from renting and to deny insurance coverage in the event of accidents.

Quick Reply: Black Box