Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Black Box

Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I also knew about this. While I'm really not too opposed to it in reality (I don't drive maniacally very often), I'm opposed to it in theory: Just another piece of electronic gadgetry to aid big brother...
Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kidjeep
Don't know how I feel about this one. I see how it could help in some instances, but overall it feels like Big Brother watching.
Big Brother watching?? It's not in your house, it is when you are driving, IN PUBLIC where anything you do is up for watching or even being photographed.
It doesn't record your conversations, it's not a camera...
Personally, if I'm in a major wreck I'd be glad there is a source of data to show what really happened!

Okay, those who disagree can let me have it now.

Last edited by horwitzs; 11-27-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by horwitzs
Big Brother watching?? It's not in your house, it is when you are driving, IN PUBLIC where anything you do is up for watching or even being photographed.
Personally, if I'm in a major wreck I'd be glad there is a source of data to show what really happened!

I'd have to agree. Case in point is the cameras on the stoplights and freeways. I can access cameras on the freeway that my wife drives home every night to see the weather and road conditions, and it's all on-line. That seems more intrusive than this box to me. If the memory is really only 5 seconds long, the only way this box could cause you trouble is if YOU were the one doing something wrong.

Believe me, I hate the Big Brother Watching idea. I should be living in a cabin in the middle of Montana with a house full of guns with as paranoid as I can get, but this just doesn't bother me. Just my two one-hundreths of a dollar though.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone know how to disable?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
Tell me more.....I despise the cameras thing.....Is this a federal court or state court and which state ( IOWA )????????
It was the state supreme court for Iowa, but it does give a precedence so that is anyone ver chose to they could probably cite it to create a federal case against them.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by horwitzs

I agree with you. Besides, driving is not our right. The state gives us the priveledge of driving on the roadways and are within their right to regulate that activity. It's the same reason why I have no problem with the red light cameras.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does this bother you?

From the JK Owner's Manual:

In the event of an accident, your vehicle is designed to
record up to 5-seconds of specific vehicle data parameters
(see the following list) in an event data recorder prior to
the moment of airbag deployment, or near deployment,
and up to a quarter second of high-speed deceleration
data during and/or after air bag deployment or neardeployment.
EDR data are ONLY recorded if an airbag
deploys, or nearly deploys, and are otherwise unavailable.

Data Parameters that May Be Recorded:
² Diagnostic trouble code(s) and warning lamp status
for electronically-controlled safety systems, including
the airbag system
² Airbag disable lamp status (if equipped)
² 9Time9 of airbag deployment (in terms of ignition
cycles and vehicle mileage)
² Airbag deployment level (if applicable)
² Impact acceleration and angle
² Seat belt status
² Brake status (service and parking brakes)
² Accelerator status (including vehicle speed)
² Engine control status (including engine speed)
² Transmission gear selection
² Cruise control status
² Traction/stability control status
² Tire pressure monitoring system status

I can see how this data can be valuable, but I'd hate to see it used improperly. For example, A T-bone accident where the person pulling out claims you appeared too quickly and then the data shows you were speeding. Now you are in a position to have to defend yourself that even though you exceeded the speed limit, the other driver was still at fault due to sufficient sight lines.

I'm sure that other situations could occur. But speed alone with no other data is a trap waiting to catch people. Imagine being in a jury and hearing that Joe Blow was traveling 40mph in a 20mph zone. Guilty right? What if the prosecution was able to suppress the fact that the roadway was a 45mph road and the only reason for the 20mph zone was a school zone that was active on a holiday (ie. no school)

Stuff like this just bothers me as it permits my property to provide evidence against me.

Now, I understand that if you are obeying the rules you should have nothing to worry about. Afterall, electronics in automotive systems have never had errors before right? Hmm, perhaps we should ask all those who were bit by the engine stalling software issue. Do you trust 100% that in a moment of crisis and severe stress (airbags, brake assist, ESP, etc) that some recorder is going to get everything perfect? Remember, it's ONE computer that controls it all.

Be just my luck that the accident which totaled my YJ occurs again. A drunk in a Toyota Camry crossed the double yellow and slammed up under the driver front wheel (Actually hit hard enough to force the wheel into the footwell so that the footwell came almost flush with the dashboard. The front driveshaft was pushed THROUGH the transfercase. I had seen the guy coming and tried to get off the road, but was at too shallow an angle to hop the rather high curb and instead jammed into it. I think I was actually stopped, or close to it when he hit. In any case, my right rear tire was ON the curb after the accident.

I know what you are saying "He slammed into you, where's the problem?"

OK, picture this...

For whatever reason, my data doesn't show any braking effort. It looks as if I was parked. Sure, he hit me, so his insurance will have to pay - eventually. BUT, because I would be seen as parked and it was a NO PARKING area, not only would my insurance refuse to go to bat and cover me up front, but I might also be cited for illegally parked and have to go fight the data in court.

Frankly I don't need that kind of hassle. Trust me, the crap I went through with insurance companies was bad enough.

So, I ask again - Anyone else a little concerned about this data recording?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, the GPS locator micro-camera & health data chip the NSA implanted in my left cornea tells them all that & more anyhow.

*L* no seriously, i dont really care, but i havent yet had any major hassles with ins. but i can see where someone who did might have an issue with it.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

The information recorded by the vehicle is protected to a point where in order to obtain it, you would either have to agree to release it or a court order from a judge would have to be obtained before the box and information from your Jeep could be released. Evidence that your vehicle may have contributed to the accident would have to be present for most judges to agree to release that information or make that information obtainable. Obviously the courts could be flooded with cases like this, so most of these are reserved for instances where there is extreme physical injury, permanent disfigurement, or death. The computers that retrieve this information are not cheap by any means so its not like any Joe Citizen can afford to buy one and see what your vehicle has recorded. I hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

A lengthy thread about this was just started a week or so ago.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...er+public+data

Last edited by horwitzs; 12-05-2007 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Black Box