Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)

Old 10-01-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone recommend a nice fitting hitch extender?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought a hitch doubler (allows you to carry a bike rack and tow a trailer at the same time) from Agri-Supply that acts as an extender to me most of the time. With it, I can clear my OR-FAB tire carrier without a problem.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigback
Could anyone recommend a nice fitting hitch extender?
Most are going to fit about the same. They don't seem as fitted as a bike rack mainly because they don't come with the bolt inside the tube. I picked up the Yakima 4 bike rack and a hitch extender. I got major wobbles so I went to the bike store and got the same internal plastic piece that holds the Yakima bolt inside the rack's hitch tube. It took some grinding to make it fit inside the extender but once it was in there, it fit great and there is no sway or wobble. Great solution and it extends the rack out further so you have more room to open the back.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

Great ideas! I am going to have to get one for 4 bikes soon....I like the look of a thule fold down one....
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

i have a problem, i have a nice back rack...forget the name..but it holds 4 bikes easily...and it opens in the same way a tire carrier would...so that the back tail gate can be opened with all the bikes on it..BUT!! now that i have a 35inch spare...it wont make it into the reciever...is there anytihng i can do?
Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have one of these bad boys. It works great at fits even with the Rubi Stock tire. It does not allow for the tail gate to be opened but that isn't a huge deal.

http://www.saris.com/p-303-cycleon.aspx

Old 10-03-2009, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LaxAHolic
i have a problem, i have a nice back rack...forget the name..but it holds 4 bikes easily...and it opens in the same way a tire carrier would...so that the back tail gate can be opened with all the bikes on it..BUT!! now that i have a 35inch spare...it wont make it into the reciever...is there anytihng i can do?
How many bikes to you normally travel with? 1, 2? If so, fork mount them in the back of the JK. With the rear seat layed down they will fit just fine.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Thule Revolver. Had to use a hitch extender but being able to open the tailgate is nice.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hypractv
I have one of these bad boys. It works great at fits even with the Rubi Stock tire. It does not allow for the tail gate to be opened but that isn't a huge deal.

http://www.saris.com/p-303-cycleon.aspx

Can you tell me how much room you have between the first bike and the spare? I have 12.5" tires with procomp wheels which stick out further than stock. I think i would need at least 14-16" from the receiver pin to the first bike tray. (I just measured and it's exactly 12" but need room for bike cranks, etc) Thanks.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 PM
JK Super Freak

How about this one...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98019
For $29.99 seems like a steal..

I have a similar looking Yakima rack. With the stock spare on there is a few inches left...The only pain is that to get the rack on and off there is a bolt that you need to screw in thru the hole on the side of the hitch and then the rack has threads. Its a pain because you have to take the hole thing down to open the tailgate, but even if you had a swing away rack it would be the same since the tailgate opens to the side...

Here is the best pic I have

Quick Reply: Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)