Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)

Old 04-30-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gabryael
I went with the raxter rack, which showed up this past Friday. It suits my needs perfectly. As you can see the bike clears but the pedal is pressing in a little tight on the tire cover. I'll have to see what I can do about that. The rack is very sturdy and there was no sway on the hitch. The bike doesn't even budge once you strap it in. Nice piece of work.

well it looks like it you turn the pedal it will go behind or under the wheel just have the other pedal in the middle on the outside.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Thule 4-bike hitch rack. I got a 12" extender from Harbor Freight for $15 or so. When I release the rack's pivot [down] I can open the entire gate.

The extender does have some slop. So I got some cheap, plastic putty scrapers from WalMart for $1.96. They are slight wedges. I plan on cutting them to fit and then tapping [wedging] them in to the gaps. I hope this takes away the play and stops the wiggle in the adapter.

Last edited by chuckmel; 05-06-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

I looked forever before I found mine. It's made by Softride and will hold 2 bikes. They sell a replacement receiver bar that extends the rack out. Mine clears a 13.5 tire on a rim with 3.5" backspacing. It folds so I can open the rear gate.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Nice Jeep and rack!

The rack must have been $$$pendy, eh?

I just found this hitch anti-rattle thing...

hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-fit-guide-2.htm

Last edited by JackMac4; 05-08-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default 4 bike rack for hitch pretty cheap

I got this 2" receiver hitch bike rack at Wallyworld for $100. To clear my Unlimited's 35" spare tire I also got a 12" hitch extender from Harbor Frate for $15. The generic bolt-on hitch itself was about $50 from an online store.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	angle.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	28640   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	28641  
Old 08-16-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrJones944
I just picked up a rack last week that I think is a pretty handy carrier. Its an aluminum hitch-haul which costs about $125 from JC whitney. Weighs about 23 lbs and can obviously carry a bit more than just bikes. When I started pricing out the various racks for bikes this just made too much sense to pass up.
That same hitch-haul is at walmart for $38 and I've seen as high as $49. Do you have your reciept from JCW. Could save a few bucks
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I got mine from Meijer. It's a reciever mounted master lock. But you guys just made me realize that it won't fit with my Hi-lift jack mounted on my spare! I'll have to get an extension. But it holds 4 bikes, is very easy to mount the bike's, and has holes for padlocks. I love it!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

If anyone's interested, I have an Advantage Glideaway 4-bike carrier for a 2-inch receiver that is brand new and never been used. It was purchased for use on an xTerra but the xTerra died before it could be used. It is not in the box but has been stored in my shed. I paid $229.00 for it and am only asking $100.00. In order to use it on a Jeep, you'll need to purchase an extender. Shipping weight is approximately 47 lbs. and it ships from zip code 71111.

Bike Rack

Extender (not included - shown as a reference)
Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Here is mine - Love it!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...5&postcount=26

Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Finally getting around to posting my results....

I ended up getting the Raxter 2-bike rack. I talked directly to the owners regarding my concern with not being able to open the tailgate with the rack on (but no bikes of course). They were very willing to work with me and gave me several suggestions from hitch extensions all the way to providing me with hardware that I could weld onto the main tube myself. In the end, I ended up flipping the main tube that comes with the 2-bike rack upside-down, which gave me the necessary clearance for the tailgate to open. This is necessary because the main tube that comes with this rack has an offset that makes it curve upwards. Flipping it over moves the cross pieces lower, but also gives less ground clearance. Luckily we have Jeeps so clearance usually isn't a problem. I have 13 1/2" from bottom of rack to ground, which is better than most cars would have with their offset curving upwards.

Not sure if all of that made sense, so here are some pictures.

First pic is in the standard configuration, with main tube offset curving upwards. This definitely doesn't provide tailgate clearance (you can see Jeep tire hitting the right side bike tire tray).

Next pic shows how I flipped the main tube upside down to make the rack sit lower.

Last pic shows tailgate successfully clearing the rack.

To sum it all up, I definitely recommend the Raxter. The owners are easy to work with, the rack is very sturdy (definitely get an anti-sway lock/bolt), and you will get tailgate clearance with their 2-bike rack if that is important to you.

You can order it directly from them -- their web site is http://www.raxterracks.com/

Quick Reply: Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)