Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)

Old 08-14-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Yep... I bought the blue Ox last week too. I didn't realize it was solid. I weighed it in at around 20 pounds. Hefty piece, considering the Max Tongue weight for the jeep is about 100 pounds ( I think). With the extension and the rack, I"m wondering if there's any room for bikes safely

Also, did you do anything to prevent the rack from wobbling?
I didn't realize it was solid either...never even thought to ask when I was looking around for one! I thought the tongue weight on the Jeep was 300lbs, I might well be wrong though.

I haven't done anything yet to prevent the rack from wobbling, but then it doesn't seem to wobble. I had purchased an anti-wobble hitch lock along with the Blue Ox, but since the extender is solid, the lock won't work (it's the threaded bolt kind). One of these days I'll get round to getting the hitch pin hole threaded at a machine shop...
Old 08-25-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jbeek
I paid around $145 for mine (4-bike model, A30404) from etrailer, shipping included, about 6 months ago; it's gone up around 10 bucks since then.

I did finally get the 4" drop receiver (made by blueox, what a beast...the thing weighs a ton!) and now I can open the tailgate all the way without having to drop the rack all the way to the ground.

I'll take pictures and post them this weekend...somebody PM'd me anyway a while back for some.
Ok, so only a couple of weeks late, but here are some pictures.
Rack in stock receiver:
321 - adequate clearance from spare to rack
322 - rack dropped part way down; tailgate opens part way (not enough to swing back window up, and yes, I know the soft top is on in these pix)
Rack in drop receiver:
324 - even more clearance between rack and spare
325 - rack dropped part way down; tailgate opens all the way now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00321.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	12200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00322.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	12201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00324.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	12202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00325.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	12203  
Old 09-02-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just did a stupid thing and backed mine into a wall the other day .

The arms are a little bent, but still seem to work fine... I had to hammer one of the strap loops back though, and spray painted it back to new...
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Well, I just did a stupid thing and backed mine into a wall the other day .

The arms are a little bent, but still seem to work fine... I had to hammer one of the strap loops back though, and spray painted it back to new...
Ouch......
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

My Thule rack didn't clear my 33's. Does anyone have a rack that does? I tried a hitch extender and was not happy - very shaky and i thought the weight would break the pin.

Thanks
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redWRANGLER
My Thule rack didn't clear my 33's. Does anyone have a rack that does? I tried a hitch extender and was not happy - very shaky and i thought the weight would break the pin.

Thanks
I ended up buying a blue-rhino drop-hitch receiver. It's heavy (Solid steel), but it does the trick. I may end up trying to thread the pin hole so I can get that same "Anti-wobble" effect of the Thule setup. But for now, it doesn't wobble enough to warrant threading it...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

I’ve been an avid biker for over twenty years. When the Saris “CycleOn” bike rack was introduced, it was the only rack I considered to carry any of my six bikes. http://www.saris.com/p-303-cycleon.aspx

With the bikes off the rack, the gate only opens slightly on my 2008 Rubicon, but with a drop receiver it would open completely.
I have approximately $10,000 invested in my six bikes, so I’m very particular about what I carry them on. It’s pricey, cost was $350.00, but it’s built well.

Last edited by toad; 10-28-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: No direct links to non-sponsored vendors.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

I was looking at the Saris T-Rak Pro 700. http://www.saris.com/p-305-t-rax-pro.aspx

The rack base is 5" longer than most racks. I'm going try and fit one on my Jeep to see if it clears the spare before I purchase the rack.

Last edited by toad; 10-28-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: No direct links to non-sponsored vendors
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Does anyone own a Saris T-Rak Pro?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Gabryael
I went with the raxter rack, which showed up this past Friday. It suits my needs perfectly. As you can see the bike clears but the pedal is pressing in a little tight on the tire cover. I'll have to see what I can do about that. The rack is very sturdy and there was no sway on the hitch. The bike doesn't even budge once you strap it in. Nice piece of work.

I like this one and am thinking of getting it for my JK. Does the tailgate open all the way with the rack on? I can't tell by the picture if the tire would hit the right side wheel tray when all the way open? I am thinking of getting the 2-bike model and have the 32" tires.

Quick Reply: Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)