Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)

Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Thule Ridgeline. It sure is a sturdy rack, but $$$.

Also, don't expect to use the tilt on it. The design of it wasn't for swing out tailgates.
I plan on ordering a drop receiver for mine, which should take care of that, though.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the raxter rack, which showed up this past Friday. It suits my needs perfectly. As you can see the bike clears but the pedal is pressing in a little tight on the tire cover. I'll have to see what I can do about that. The rack is very sturdy and there was no sway on the hitch. The bike doesn't even budge once you strap it in. Nice piece of work.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gabryael
I went with the raxter rack, which showed up this past Friday. It suits my needs perfectly. As you can see the bike clears but the pedal is pressing in a little tight on the tire cover. I'll have to see what I can do about that. The rack is very sturdy and there was no sway on the hitch. The bike doesn't even budge once you strap it in. Nice piece of work.
Lookes like you can rotate your pedals position by 180° and problem solved.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
Lookes like you can rotate your pedals position by 180° and problem solved.
I actually tried in facing in both directions with the pedal in various positions, but couldn't do much better than this. I decided to simply buy a set of MKS EZY quick release pedals for my bike. And it'll double as a second theft deterrent.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

I went to a trailer company and bought an extention ($30), problem solved.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbeek
My 4-bike Sportrack (made by Thule...I forget the model) handily clears the stock Sahara spare. It folds down enough to get the tailgate open enough to get small things in and out, but not enough to raise the glass. I replaced the bolt that stops the rack from going down all the way with a pin; now I pull out that pin if I need the back open all the way. I am thinking of getting a drop receiver/extension though...some days I get tired of pulling pins when I have to get in the back a lot.
Sportrack is a great rack that I would not hesitate to recommend (even at full price, which is about $100 more than the one I found online for $180 with free shipping! ... it was an "open box return" deal that I can't find again at that price unfortunately, or I'd tell you where). Easy assembly, solid construction, great function. Great rack for a family.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just stack the bikes on top of the Jeep (with no top on) and bungee them on. I've done so with three bikes on top. Works like a charm and cost me $5 in bungee chords, but be sure to wrap something on the cross bars as you don't want to scratch the paint.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99
I just stack the bikes on top of the Jeep (with no top on) and bungee them on. I've done so with three bikes on top. Works like a charm and cost me $5 in bungee chords, but be sure to wrap something on the cross bars as you don't want to scratch the paint.
I got to see this. Got any pics? What kinda a bike you hauling?
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cmcginnes
Sportrack is a great rack that I would not hesitate to recommend (even at full price, which is about $100 more than the one I found online for $180 with free shipping! ... it was an "open box return" deal that I can't find again at that price unfortunately, or I'd tell you where). Easy assembly, solid construction, great function. Great rack for a family.

I paid around $145 for mine (4-bike model, A30404) from etrailer, shipping included, about 6 months ago; it's gone up around 10 bucks since then.

I did finally get the 4" drop receiver (made by blueox, what a beast...the thing weighs a ton!) and now I can open the tailgate all the way without having to drop the rack all the way to the ground.

I'll take pictures and post them this weekend...somebody PM'd me anyway a while back for some.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbeek
I paid around $145 for mine (4-bike model, A30404) from etrailer, shipping included, about 6 months ago; it's gone up around 10 bucks since then.

I did finally get the 4" drop receiver (made by blueox, what a beast...the thing weighs a ton!) and now I can open the tailgate all the way without having to drop the rack all the way to the ground.

I'll take pictures and post them this weekend...somebody PM'd me anyway a while back for some.
Yep... I bought the blue Ox last week too. I didn't realize it was solid. I weighed it in at around 20 pounds. Hefty piece, considering the Max Tongue weight for the jeep is about 100 pounds ( I think). With the extension and the rack, I"m wondering if there's any room for bikes safely

Also, did you do anything to prevent the rack from wobbling?

Quick Reply: Bike Rack for JK (In Receiver)