Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bestop two-piece soft doors = My two doors of crap

Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree these are way over priced for the quality/fit.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy a set off craigslist???

After reading all these posts, it makes me scared to buy a set off craigslist. I am only getting the bottom halves, and have no interest in the tops. Is the bottom any better? Are the issues just with the top portion of the door or the whole door? THANKS!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

If you're just getting the lowers, then you should be fine. You can adjust the door and bend it to get it to fit. Part of the weatherstripping won't make contact with the jeep, but since you're not getting the uppers, wind and water probably isn't a concern for you. Most of the problems start when the upper part is put on. That's when the fitment and noise issues really begin.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jerseydawn
I would love to get the half metal doors but cant seem to find them anywhere
Doe MOPAR make them for 2008 models?
The MOPAR half doors are ridiculously expensive and I believe MOPAR is going to stop selling them. Take a look at the new half doors from Rugged Ridge (pics can be found in WOL's reporting from SEMA.) They look very nice to me and apparently will be a price point significantly less than MOPAR half doors.

Edit: here is the link to Rugged Ridge's post - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...A-Jeep-Preview

WOL has some picitures of the interior of the door in the SEMA thread.

Last edited by Sharkey; 11-03-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dellpjJK
After reading all these posts, it makes me scared to buy a set off craigslist. I am only getting the bottom halves, and have no interest in the tops. Is the bottom any better? Are the issues just with the top portion of the door or the whole door? THANKS!
The bottoms fit just fine! I seem to be the only one who can live with the aggravations these things cause. I actually love them and use them all summer.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

So does anyone have any experience with the new Element doors from bestop?

I was also thinking of going to the soft doors for summer use but after reading this thread I question spending that kind of money...

I want a set of doors I can take off and throw in the back, but want to be able to run down the hwy without earplugs...

Any improvements on the soft doors?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just tried mine out this morning in the rain for the first time. I had my Freedom hardtop on this time too. I discovered a few things. The driver door bowed out a couple inches at highway speed, and flapped pretty violently when passing a truck (or being passed). The passenger door however stayed snug. I assume I can bend the upper to fit like the passenger side. The driver door oddly didn't leak. However the passenger side did leak some water around the lower against the latch pillar. It only wetted the plastic rocker panel valence, so not much impact. The noise however, is dramatic. Lots of flapping, and lots of air howling. I can make the howling go away by velcroing the door uppers like others so they don't bow out. But that external flapping sounds difficult to abate. I'm not even really sure what is flapping? Any ideas?
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Default flapping,,,

on mine,,,, it was the door fabric, flapping against the metal frames. My solution was to make a rectangle wedge, out of three kitchen sponges put together, and then duck taped together to shove into the area, right near the metal door "handle", (right where it sticks out,,,not the latch). I also put plumbing insulation, around whatever metal framing that I could. But wedging something into that frame helps A LOT! I also keep a few spare towels in the Jeep, for rain that may get out of hand. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

As for the fabric on the door flapping...it's a fabric door! Flapping is going to happen! A soft material between the fabric and the framing on the door may help this. Remember it's a fabric door though, flapping will occur!

As for the bowing out, SIMPLE FIX! Open the door, stand looking at the inside of the soft doors. Firmly grasp the top portion of the full soft door, now gently but enough to cause slight bending, pull down on the upper edge of the door bending it it slightly in towards the vehicle. Once you've got it bent just right it'll now push in against the side of the vehicle more. As long as the door is adjusted right and then bent in a little like I described, the door will function perfectly.

I have owned the doors for 3 years and never had an issue.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

The design is somewhat poor. Fit is not the best. Flaps a lot. Noisy. I guess you could describe as crap.....

But I love mine! They have held up well overall. I been running them for 3 years as my everyday doors and they have held up well overall.

Quick Reply: Bestop two-piece soft doors = My two doors of crap