Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bestop Safari Top Problem

Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Safari Top Problem

Okay so mine is not new it is over 1 year old. I also use it without doors everyday at speeds of 60mph+- (some faster on the hwy) for at least half my trips. I would still think the velcro would hold up better. If it were just a velco loosing hold I would live with it without much complaint but what is happening is where the fuzzy velcro is sewn into the top has ripped/shredded and pulled loose to where it is meer threads holding it. It looks like someone took a knife to the back (fabric) side of the velcro leaving the fuzz intact. I checked to see if it was on a wear spot and perhaps wore through and no it looks to be where the holes for the stitching go through the velcro started ripping. This is just the velcro piece and not the top fabric mind you. I am going to have the wife look at it to determine if we can stitch in a new piece or something. I just wish it had lasted longer than 1 year for the money spent. Anyone else that has had one for a while (and keep it installed all the time) have any problems? I figure I most likely have more use on mine than most due to it going on and rarely getting removed.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Well the wife thinks she can stitch in a new piece of velcro or perhaps a strap with a buckle like tho ones on the rear. She is even more ticked than I am though this happened. As far as either of us can tell it was just the wind from riding pulling on it where it was stitched and the velcro wearing/giving way.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had mine on and off for 6 mo (been on almost2 straight) I have not noticed an issue with the velcro. I think if mine does give out I am going to put a strap and buckle on it instead of replacing the velcro
Old 07-18-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
I have had mine on and off for 6 mo (been on almost2 straight) I have not noticed an issue with the velcro. I think if mine does give out I am going to put a strap and buckle on it instead of replacing the velcro
Okay that is less than mine has been but still up there. It is more a PIA as I figured sooner or later the velcro would give out however I figured it would be the typical velcro zip and unzip wear down instead of it ripping loose. Oh well it's the weekend and she has a shopping trip planned with a friend so hopefully she will find a suitable replacement. I am letting her pick what to use as she has to sew it on.

Quick Reply: Bestop Safari Top Problem