Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best spare tire cable lock?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spare tire cable lock?

Since I got my new 37's, I'm in the market for a spare tire lock. Ive seen the cable ones and like that type of lock. I'm also up for other kinds. Regardless of which I choose, what's the best brand/kind? Pro's/con's, etc.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Don't have any experience with cable locks. If you wanted to go another route, it was recommended to me to use gorilla wheel locks.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Junkie

Ive been looking at the Trimax TG3072SX Supermax Security Armor Plated 72" x 26mm Stainless Steel Locking Cable. They got it on amazon. I'll check out your suggestion now, thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wheel Lock

Why not just purchase wheel locks for your tires?
2 sets will provide you with 8 locks. That's enough
to put one on each wheel and 3 for the spare.
It'll keep Your rig's shoes intact and it'll look good
too.

I've done the cable lock once before. There a few
problems with the cable lock;
1. it moves around and makes noise.
2. it can be cut off.
3. the locking mechanism has a tendency to end-up
being someplace where you can't reach it easily.
4. it's susceptible to corrosion for the elements.

Just my 2 cts.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoneShkr
Why not just purchase wheel locks for your tires?
2 sets will provide you with 8 locks. That's enough
to put one on each wheel and 3 for the spare.
It'll keep Your rig's shoes intact and it'll look good
too.

I've done the cable lock once before. There a few
problems with the cable lock;
1. it moves around and makes noise.
2. it can be cut off.
3. the locking mechanism has a tendency to end-up
being someplace where you can't reach it easily.
4. it's susceptible to corrosion for the elements.

Just my 2 cts.
Your .02 is why I posted....to get insight. Did you check out the one I was looking at though? The lug nuts do seem more practical though. The locking lug nuts have unique keys for each, right? Was always curious about em and how they actually worked...
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

If somebody wants it bad enough they're going to get it. Those Gorilla nuts with the spinning outside collar is probably the best option I would think. If you have a cable they'll just cut the cable or lock. I just picked up a set of 4 McGard locking lugs tonight for my spare, just the normal style with the key. If they want it bad enough you could take them off with a pipe wrench. But I wouldnt have a clue how to even start taking those Gorilla ones off without the key.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

With enough practice... and an impact/ hammer drill you can remove anything you
want from all the other stuff you don't.

As for answering FoxRacingJMC about how they work;

The key looks like a clover leaf with one of the leaves elongated.
Each set is keyed slightly different. You can get a set of eight with
just one key, but I have found it's a better deterrent if you use
multiple keys for the same wheel. I have 2 different keyed wheel
-locks on each wheel. And the spare has 3,(yes, I bought 4 different
sets of wheel locks.)
I also kept a couple of lug nuts in the storage hold in the back in a
zip storage bag.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up a set of Mopar (made my Mcguard) locking lug nuts from my local Chrysler dealership. They came in a set of five which I think is enough...one per tire. I also just placed an order for a spare key I can keep handy if I ever need it.

I thought about just using a cable lock on the spare, but then my dad was telling me that someone in his area got all of his wheels stolen of his Jeep. They jacked it up and just took all the wheels.

I looked into the Gorilla lock nuts with the different pattern external splines also, but they look like they can probably be removed with a little force even if you didn't have the right spline key. Either that, or a person could take a random key and "modify" grind down all the spline inserts (on the inside of the key) except for one and it would still work on any one of those type lock nuts...Just guessing though.

I think the type with the spinning outer ring are probably more fool proof. Just do a Google search and see how many people post up threads because they lost their key and are having a b*tch of a time trying to remove their locks. I doubt anyone is going to fire up an air chisel in my parking lot "clandestine" like.

I also had another thought...for someone looking to remove one of these type locks with an air chisel or something like that. Say if you didn't want to damage the rim while doing it, why not just cut a small section of thin-walled pipe the right diameter that would fit into the bore where the socket/key fits and just insert that as a protective sleeve when you go to insert the chisel. Meh....just a though.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 03-22-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi

If they want your tire that bad, they will just unbolt the stock carrier and take it with the tire. I know it may sound silly, but there isn't much point in spending a ton of money to lock something to another object that is itself easily removed.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkey
If they want your tire that bad, they will just unbolt the stock carrier and take it with the tire. I know it may sound silly, but there isn't much point in spending a ton of money to lock something to another object that is itself easily removed.
I think the point of it is just being more of a deterrent. If someone really wants something they can probably figure out a way to get it, but the more variables you throw into it, the more likely they are to pass up your vehicle for an easier target.
I think the thieves who do this are mainly just looking for easy money without too much trouble or hassle. Besides...$60 for a set of wheel locks is not a ton of money. Having to replace a set of five new tires and rims because they got stolen would be a huge expense however.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 03-22-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Best spare tire cable lock?