Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

the best off road lights EVER!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee

Like posted above, you have been misled by false advertising. Even though a HID claims to have a 5000 lumen output, only 2500-3000 lumens is actually usable. Where as a 5000 lumen rated LED light will actually have a 5000 lumen output.

So yes HID is cheaper, but that is the only advantage. The light output will never compare to LEDs. But yes LEDs always win hands down and is the correct answer if you want the best light output.
Thanks for backing me up.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are all overpriced LED, HID
A person need to fig out what they intend the usage for and how will they Benoit from it. 75% of people on here have all these high powered lights and only use or show them off on pics or threads talking about how powerful they have! If a person can't use the lights or not legal what good are they if a person is on a budget and wanting lights.
I myself have a set of Offroad only lights and a set of daily driving fog and beam lights. Make sure your investment is what suits your needs and helps you out.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Again, noting in the poster's question asked about best value or price. Simply asked what is the best lighting available. If I asked what the fastest car avilable is, the answer would be the Bugati Veyron SS, not the GTR because it has the best performance for the price.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

OMFG THATS THE LIGHTS I WANT TO GET FOR MY JEEP JK!!!! I'M getting my KC lights replaced by Rigid LED lights!

Originally Posted by ac1brooks
Rigid Industries:
50" SR LED Bar
20" SR LED Bar
2 Dually LED Spot
Truck-Lite Headlights
HID Fog Lights

Old 12-08-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been really happy with my KC Rally Series 8" Long Range HID's. I've never seen a set of Rigid LED's but I can't see how much brighter they could possibly be, especially given the small size. If I ever see someone with them I'll see if they want to do a night comparison just to see. Everyone is saying HID is cheap, I paid $1700 for the four I have. Anyways, they work great and KC's warranty is one of the best in the business.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry, but I am riding the window licker bus when it comes to lighting. I am replacing my front bumper and will need a replacement for the stock fog lights. I also want the window mounted lights for no other reason than to look like a Poser.

I dont race in the baja 1000, and I am not superhero jeep guy, so this needs to be of a reasonable cost.

Questions:
I would like to use my stock light switch for the bumper lights. What would be a very nice replacement for the stock lights that would work in the configuration?
should that be a fog or a driving light?

How does one wire in the winshield lights? should that be a fog or driving light?

I am open to led, halgoen, or HID. - I dont care as long as I turn it on and say wow, that is nice.

Please feel free to post your suggestions ,and I do hope I am not hijacking this thread.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Work in Progress - JK
I like my KC slimline w/s mount lights, right price, easy to install, good instructions and if I break one; easy to replace.
Attachment 222487
x2 love these
Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by REDJEEPJK
OMFG THATS THE LIGHTS I WANT TO GET FOR MY JEEP JK!!!! I'M getting my KC lights replaced by Rigid LED lights!
I think they are worth every penny
Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
How do you define "best"? Distance? Brightest? Bang for buck?
Best in my mind is purely a performance factor. Has nothing to do with cost or how bright they look...just how much usable light you get. A light meter is used to measure amount of lighting at measured intervals. LED lighting will put a larger amount of usable light on the road/trail than HIDs ever can. There is no way to argue that. It has been proven on multiple occasions.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-15-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pete156
Can somebody explain to me why so many Jeep owners put their auxillary lighting up at the windshield level or on the roof? Never really have seen the point in this, other than for looks. Sure puts more glare back into the drivers face regardless of the hood paint.

I'll stick with my HIDs. Yes, they are the brightest regardless of what you read. My eyes don't lie.
With LEDs, the light is much more focused. I have no glare off my hood at all. Only people with HIDs does this become a problem because of the large amount of light lost. LEDs project light in a beam (usually 30-80 degrees), HIDs project light in 360 degrees... causing the hood glare people complain about.

Also people like windshield mounts because there is less risk of damage to the light, you run out of room on the bumper, and also lights on the bumper get covered in dirt/mud faster and become unusable.

Please by all means, stick with you HIDs. I am sure your eyes are much more accurate at judging light output than all the calibrated light meters used in tests that clearly show LED lighting is superior.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-15-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Quick Reply: the best off road lights EVER!!!