Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

the best off road lights EVER!!!

Old 12-03-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picture of 20" led rigid light & black magic 500's on windshield before I replaced them with rigid duallys
Old 12-03-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Reloaded the pic
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide

Comparison of what!? Those your HID fogs? No wonder they look like shit. And your white filter is too high.
If you read correctly those were my hid hella 500's on my windshield. Let's see yours!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I roll with Warn HIDs on windshield mega bright!!
7 inch I say 7 inch son!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, the header on this thread is the best lighting ever. You made your point. You win, your right HID is best lighting ever made. I was only trying to post my experience with both.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

How long of a straight stretch do you want me to find? What distance are you using in that photo?
Don't worry about it. Have a good day
Old 12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Just think of this guy in the pic to the right sude beside me, he had 3 inch walmarts you cant even barely see them I think any extra lighting is better than just stock.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the Truck-Lite 7" LED lights hxxp://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27250C-Round-Headlamp-Inches/dp/B002IFRROM we had them on our Caiman MRAP in Iraq and they turn night into day

Last edited by wayoflifette; 12-04-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: please don't post direct links to non sponsors
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

LEDs are getting better, but bang for buck (and performance) is still going to be HIDs. Even a cheap HID will outperform most halogen lights. But it really comes down to what you're using them for, and what your budget is. But personally I wouldn't touch a halogen light for anything other than a backup light - and even then I picked up a used Vision X LED on the cheap for this.

If you want long range (to reach way down the highway), find some HID spots. If you're looking for something wide with some distance, find a driving beam. If it's closer stuff for the trail... pretty much whatever.

The thread talked about the BEST off road lighting, not the best for the buck. Yes you are correct, HIDs will put out alot light for the money. But HIDs can never compare to LEDS. Plus you cant really compare lumens from HIDs and LEDs. Though HIDs may have high lumen output, only a percentage is actually usable. LEDs put out much more usable light, much lower power draw, much more reliable. Yes, HIDs are great if you are on a budget, but if you truly want the best lighiting available it would be LEDs.

Reasons why HID lighting is inferior

-Trapped Light – HID lamps emit light in all directions and require reflectors inside the luminaires to “bounce” as much light as possible away from the lamp and fixture components to the target area. However, not all light can be effectively redirected. Typically, 40% or more of the light emitted from the lamp is trapped within the luminaire and does not reach the target area. There are no losses from trapped light due to the focused output of the LED.

-Power Supplies – HID lighitng require a ballast to convert line power into a form which can be used by the lamp. These losses can vary from 5-25%, depending on the power supply used. This also results in lower system efficiency. LEDs do not use a ballast.

-Protective Lenses – HIDs always use some sort of secondary optics (such as tempered glass or acrylic) to help focus or redirect light, and to protect the lamps or LEDs from the environment. These materials do not allow light to pass with 100% efficiency, so system efficiency is reduced. LEDs are already focused and usually have flat lenses, which is more efficient.

-Lumen Depreciation & Useful Life - HID sources, especially metal halide, suffer from substantial lumen depreciation over relatively short periods. A metal halide lumen output will depreciate 50% within 6000-10000 hours of use. LEDs are actually rated with a L70 factor (the time taken to reach 30% depreciation). A typical LED will depreciate 30% within 50,000-100,000 hours of use. So even though HIDs may be a cheaper initial investment, over time you will actually spend much more constantly replacing bulbs. (See picture)

-Lumen Measurement - Comparing the lumen output of LEDs to a discharge source is not an accurate way of measuring effective light output of a Luminaire. HID lamp lumens are measured spherically, counting all the lumens being produced over 360 degrees. The discharge arc tube is NOT a point source and is difficult to optimize optically, making for poor light collection efficiency and utilization. Many light fixtures have to redirect most of the lumens produced by a bulb, losing as much as 50% of the output. LEDs on the other hand are directional and have practically no wasted lumens. Virtually every LED lumen is directed and placed to maximize efficiency. A more accurate evaluation is to measure actual foot-candles or LUX on the ground.

Attachment 245249

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 12-04-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fact's, opinions and some falsehoods... but whatever works right?

I added a bit more info for you (taken off of Riged's site).

HIDs go well beyond 2600 lumens. The cheap ones I've had for over 2 years now are 3200 lumens, and Vision X has HIDs that have 5000 lumens.

I think you're still missing the point here. I'm not knocking LEDs, or Rigid. I'm sure they make a great product. But to date HID is still cheaper and still puts out more light, and puts it out there further than an LED can. LED technology just isn't there yet, and you talking them up won't change that.

It's all dependent on what ones needs are... but you're taking this, and saying LEDs/Rigid wins hands down, they're the best, etc. And use them for everything. I'm just pointing out that this isn't true. What one wants/needs for lights is going to depend on what they want and need them to do. And LED isn't always the answer (neither is HID for that matter).
Like posted above, you have been misled by false advertising. Even though a HID claims to have a 5000 lumen output, only 2500-3000 lumens is actually usable. Where as a 5000 lumen rated LED light will actually have a 5000 lumen output.

So yes HID is cheaper, but that is the only advantage. The light output will never compare to LEDs. But yes LEDs always win hands down and is the correct answer if you want the best light output.

Quick Reply: the best off road lights EVER!!!