Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best/ easiest to apply tire gloss

Old 06-14-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the foam works best, and neatly. However if I have to use the spray I usually just make one pass around the tire and even it out with the sponge applicator. I don't go crazy, but it works
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire gloss, is that what they call mud in your parts?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Nothing wrong with using tire gloss on a jeep. Its not just for looks but also for protection. I know someone who never used tire gloss on his truck and it dry rotted on the sidewalls and had to replace his tires when he had 40% tread left on them.
I always use this
Click image for larger version

Name:	519YiOsiPHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	329488
Works great for protecting the tire, shinning it, and you dont get that annoying splash off on the car when your driving (if you dont use to much). It comes with a sponge applicator thingy lol. I buy it from auto zone. Lasts for awhile.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does it give it that wet look?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RufusTheTank
Does it give it that wet look?
Yes sir, heres some old pics of my Mustang with it on. Thing I like the most about this stuff is even after that wet look goes away you still see the water beeding up on the tire. So it keeps on protecting the tire from the sun till the next time you use it. It may take a few times for a new tire to do that tho.

Name:	Mustang.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	329494

Name:	mustang 2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	329493

Last edited by Karnage541; 06-14-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karnage541
Nothing wrong with using tire gloss on a jeep. Its not just for looks but also for protection. I know someone who never used tire gloss on his truck and it dry rotted on the sidewalls and had to replace his tires when he had 40% tread left on them.
I always use this
Attachment 329488
Works great for protecting the tire, shinning it, and you dont get that annoying splash off on the car when your driving (if you dont use to much). It comes with a sponge applicator thingy lol. I buy it from auto zone. Lasts for awhile.
Bet you that wasnt the case..

Bet you his tires were just very old, tire do age, check the 4 digit number on the tire, keep in mind just because you buy them new doesnt mean they werent sitting on a self for years...
Old 06-15-2012, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maguires(spelling) makes an aerosol one in a black can, not foam, works great, plus it has uv protectant.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Twice a month I take my jeep to the car wash to clean the undercarriage. The wash package includes the tire shine and they apply it with a brush. It's a circular brush that's about 5-6 inches across. The bristles are about 2-3 inches long. The tires always look great when they are done and it doesn't leave much loose tire shine on the tires. They keep the tire shine in a small bucket and just dip the brush.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karnage541
I always use this
Attachment 329488

I used to use this all the time, in fact still have 2 bottles of it in the garage. But I switched over to: Stoner's Tire Shine (Yellow Can), and the stuff is amazing and doesn't streak at all. I will try to get you a picture up. If you don't wash your car but once every couple of months, like most of us Jeepers they stay shining for a month easy! You spray it on, not rubbing it in or busting your ass/back to keep them looking good.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I use a Meguiars product called "Insane Shine."

It is aerosol. Works like a champ. Regardless, it is a good idea to have a sponge to even it out.

Quick Reply: Best/ easiest to apply tire gloss