Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Coating for Bumpers

Old 04-07-2008, 02:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used herculiner "do it yourself" kit on my 4runner sliders and it held up to tons of abuse. They are hard to get real clean cause of the texture but I never washed them that much.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I am in the middle of a bumper fab right now...I called around and Line X wanted $300 to do my bumper. No way.....I can buy 4 rattle cans of the Duplocolor Bed Liner from Walmart. (I think that is what it is) for $7 a piece.....if it flakes then I can re spray. I have seen it on an CJ interior and bumper and it looks fine. Now I havent applied it yet so if it does turn out to look like ass, then I will get it Line X'd, but if not, then I saved a shiatload of money. When I called the guy he kind of pissed me off. He talked like he was doing open heart surgery....
Do it yourself w/something u like, that way u can do touch-ups as needed
Old 04-07-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Black08X
No I haven't taken off my front bumper yet. I'm planning to get a rugged ridge bumper at some point so it's going to happen, and to be honest I won't have it either Line-X sprayed or duplicolor sprayed. However, I do know that Line X has been sprayed on the walls at the Pentagon because it is very ballistic resistant, i.e. they don't want damage like the last time a Jet hit the place. I don't think you're going to get that from duplicolor. But again, you're absolutely right bro, whatever works for you is what you should do. But I mean hey, you asked about spray coating and we just told you what we thought was best that's all. Line X is not mall crawler stuff. It costs that much for a good reason and that is it's doggon tuff as hell. Anyway, regardless, when you get it sprayed and attached post some pictures I'd be curious to see how it turns out.
Ya I will be doing a full write up as soon as it is mounted...probably 1-2 weeks away. So far everything is going pretty smooth. Although I do know why they charge so much for bumpers now...a lot of piddly work.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Talking heh

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
It isn't my "financial" situation. I can more than afford it. It is the principal. I honestly have seen both and dont think it is worth it. Unlike a lot of people who have all the goodies that look great parked in the mall, I wheel mine. Rock and stumps dont care if it is Line X or raw steel. Little hard to bring it in after every wheeling trip to have it re sprayed.
We will see though, maybe you are right, maybe I will have to take the bumper off every year or two, but 1. Have you taken the stock bumper off yet? The one I am fabbing makes that look complex. and 2. If I spend $50 in two years on a bumper, I am still up $250. To each is own though.
I like people like you. When I had money, and alot of money for a kid my age, I wouldn't spend it just because I had it. I looked for a deal, because I know better than to just throw money away.
My bumper has four coats of primer on it and six and a half coats of flat black spraypaint. I haven't hit anything major, but it is still black...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

I didn't read all of the posts, but "Krylon" is the best for me. It's cheap, so if I scrape it off accross a rock I dont care. It goes on in the trails, if it flakes by the time you get home apply it again. If it flakes off while washing it because you accidently sprayed it over mud, just spray it again! HAHA! No seriously, I use krylon on my bumper.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had a $7 can of walmart duplicolor spray bed liner crap on my front bumper for over a year without any damage.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Which duplicolor did you use? The one that says it's for bumpers is for plastic.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I let you guy's know.

Just got back from my local Line-X dealer and they gave me a price of $180 for each bumper.

Going to make one more stop at the shop that did the bed in my Ram with Xtreme Liner to see what kind of price they come up with......
Old 04-07-2008, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by boots
Thought I let you guy's know.

Just got back from my local Line-X dealer and they gave me a price of $180 for each bumper.

Going to make one more stop at the shop that did the bed in my Ram with Xtreme Liner to see what kind of price they come up with......
Nice....I found a place here that does "Reflex" lining.....$80....no idea what it is though. The Line X guy quoted me $300...
TH
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd love to see a writ up wth pics on some of this do it yourself bed liner stuff fom my bumpers....
Search function hasn't given me much help this time.

chuck

Quick Reply: Best Coating for Bumpers