Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best Coating for Bumpers

Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Coating for Bumpers

Allright,

I have done a search and came up with nothing.

I am looking into doing a spay on coating for my bumpers. This is for aftermarket bumpers now.

I want to use a spray on bed liner type coating, but don't want it to look like shit one year later. Because I know that alot of bed liner spays will turn a sad looking shade after the UV sun rays hit them for awhile.

Whats the best to use ? I had Xtreme Liner sprayed in my Ram's bed and had good looks and wear. But that had a bed cover on it. ANY THOUGHTS ?

Last edited by boots; 04-06-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Line-X XTRA Kevlar is by far the best. The Kevlar has the best UV protection.

linex.com/xtra.shtml

Last edited by kntr; 04-06-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Freak

x3, Line X, best there is. It might be a little pricey but well worth it in the long run.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Boots how's it going?? Although I have no idea how this will look in a year or so, I found this in the Project-JK pics from the Sema 2007 show and I think it looks pretty crazy. I hope this helps.

http://project-jk.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=42103

By the way, check out my signature... I gave you all the credit for the Black Sahara decal... and I know, I'll throw show pics up soon.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Black08X
x3, Line X, best there is. It might be a little pricey but well worth it in the long run.
I am in the middle of a bumper fab right now...I called around and Line X wanted $300 to do my bumper. No way.....I can buy 4 rattle cans of the Duplocolor Bed Liner from Walmart. (I think that is what it is) for $7 a piece.....if it flakes then I can re spray. I have seen it on an CJ interior and bumper and it looks fine. Now I havent applied it yet so if it does turn out to look like ass, then I will get it Line X'd, but if not, then I saved a shiatload of money. When I called the guy he kind of pissed me off. He talked like he was doing open heart surgery....
Old 04-06-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I am in the middle of a bumper fab right now...I called around and Line X wanted $300 to do my bumper. No way.....I can buy 4 rattle cans of the Duplocolor Bed Liner from Walmart. (I think that is what it is) for $7 a piece.....if it flakes then I can re spray. I have seen it on an CJ interior and bumper and it looks fine. Now I havent applied it yet so if it does turn out to look like ass, then I will get it Line X'd, but if not, then I saved a shiatload of money. When I called the guy he kind of pissed me off. He talked like he was doing open heart surgery....
The mistake there is thinking that Wal-Mart's $7 a can Duplicolor is anywhere near the quality of Line X. It's not. Actually $300 isn't bad. I'd go for it personally but hey, you know your financial situation far better than any of us obviously. You do what you feel you have to.

I'd rather pay the $300 once and never have to worry about it again than have to take the bumper off every year or two and respray it with Duplicolor. But like I said, that's me. You gotta do what's right for you.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Junkie

I paid $200 for each bumper. I have had 4 bumpers sprayed in Line X over the last year and they are all holding up and look like the day I got em done.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Black08X
The mistake there is thinking that Wal-Mart's $7 a can Duplicolor is anywhere near the quality of Line X. It's not. Actually $300 isn't bad. I'd go for it personally but hey, you know your financial situation far better than any of us obviously. You do what you feel you have to.

I'd rather pay the $300 once and never have to worry about it again than have to take the bumper off every year or two and respray it with Duplicolor. But like I said, that's me. You gotta do what's right for you.
It isn't my "financial" situation. I can more than afford it. It is the principal. I honestly have seen both and dont think it is worth it. Unlike a lot of people who have all the goodies that look great parked in the mall, I wheel mine. Rock and stumps dont care if it is Line X or raw steel. Little hard to bring it in after every wheeling trip to have it re sprayed.
We will see though, maybe you are right, maybe I will have to take the bumper off every year or two, but 1. Have you taken the stock bumper off yet? The one I am fabbing makes that look complex. and 2. If I spend $50 in two years on a bumper, I am still up $250. To each is own though.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petenice15
Hey Boots how's it going?? Although I have no idea how this will look in a year or so, I found this in the Project-JK pics from the Sema 2007 show and I think it looks pretty crazy. I hope this helps.

http://project-jk.com/wp-gallery2.php?g2_itemId=42103

By the way, check out my signature... I gave you all the credit for the Black Sahara decal... and I know, I'll throw show pics up soon.
Petenice15,

Thanks for the credit on the Black sahara decals, was'nt nessary, so thanks. Also thanks for the link on the Sema Photos. It helped. Because after looking at them I know I want to spray my bumpers now........
Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
It isn't my "financial" situation. I can more than afford it. It is the principal. I honestly have seen both and dont think it is worth it. Unlike a lot of people who have all the goodies that look great parked in the mall, I wheel mine. Rock and stumps dont care if it is Line X or raw steel. Little hard to bring it in after every wheeling trip to have it re sprayed.
We will see though, maybe you are right, maybe I will have to take the bumper off every year or two, but 1. Have you taken the stock bumper off yet? The one I am fabbing makes that look complex. and 2. If I spend $50 in two years on a bumper, I am still up $250. To each is own though.
No I haven't taken off my front bumper yet. I'm planning to get a rugged ridge bumper at some point so it's going to happen, and to be honest I won't have it either Line-X sprayed or duplicolor sprayed. However, I do know that Line X has been sprayed on the walls at the Pentagon because it is very ballistic resistant, i.e. they don't want damage like the last time a Jet hit the place. I don't think you're going to get that from duplicolor. But again, you're absolutely right bro, whatever works for you is what you should do. But I mean hey, you asked about spray coating and we just told you what we thought was best that's all. Line X is not mall crawler stuff. It costs that much for a good reason and that is it's doggon tuff as hell. Anyway, regardless, when you get it sprayed and attached post some pictures I'd be curious to see how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Best Coating for Bumpers