Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

before you buy drive shafts online

Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default before you buy drive shafts online

I ordered and installed front/rear 1310 shafts a few months back from a shaft manufacturer that is popular on this forum. After getting 5.13 gears I had a significant vibration around 60mph and up. The gear shop believed the shafts were the source of the vibration. And, sure enough when they tried new shafts (1310/spicer) there is no vibration. As this is my DD, I purchased these new shafts so I can drive.

I contacted the manufacturer of my original 1310s. I have to send my shafts back to them and they will inform me what my options are once they look at them. No problem, that is pretty much what you expect with internet purchased gear.

If I could do it over I would just go to the drive line shop. About 20% less $$, and I can just drive over to handle any issues (quality is much better in my case). So, before ordering shafts online, it might be worth a couple calls to see whats available in your area.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent point!! I had my drive shafts made for a fraction of the cost!!
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greggradwohl
I ordered and installed front/rear 1310 shafts a few months back from a shaft manufacturer that is popular on this forum. After getting 5.13 gears I had a significant vibration around 60mph and up. The gear shop believed the shafts were the source of the vibration. And, sure enough when they tried new shafts (1310/spicer) there is no vibration. As this is my DD, I purchased these new shafts so I can drive.

I contacted the manufacturer of my original 1310s. I have to send my shafts back to them and they will inform me what my options are once they look at them. No problem, that is pretty much what you expect with internet purchased gear.

If I could do it over I would just go to the drive line shop. About 20% less $$, and I can just drive over to handle any issues (quality is much better in my case). So, before ordering shafts online, it might be worth a couple calls to see whats available in your area.
This has to be one of the most well thought out complaints I have seen. Well written.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

I think I have the same problem. I bought the 1350 shafts. Pinion angles are perfect. Vibration won't go away though.

I'm going to take them to the driveline shop here in town next week to have them checked.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have never bought shafts offline. I have them built by a local shop.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

I checked with a local driveline shop and they want quite a bit more to make a rear shaft for me than I can buy online. I still havent bought one yet.
I know having to ship them back is a real inconvenience and hopefully yours is an isolated case. I haven't heard of others experiencing any problems. Unless I can find a shop close by that can compete with the online prices, I'll be left with no choice but to buy online. (Unless I want to spend more. NOT)
Old 08-12-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure wish there was a drive line shop somewhere in the area. The closest one is 4 hours away.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Sure wish there was a drive line shop somewhere in the area. The closest one is 4 hours away.
I know how you feel. 4 wheelin' is kinda big around here but there just aren't any shops. Everyone does things for their selves. Well, I take it back. We have 1 "ONE" shop and the guy is a real A hole. He only caters to the Pavement Queens. I have been in his shop twice and he was a real @%%$ both times. He will not get any of my money.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j&k'sjk
I have never bought shafts offline. I have them built by a local shop.
I do the same.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

This should be in modified jk tech?!?!

Quick Reply: before you buy drive shafts online