Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

bad shocks?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2 inch levelling kit so its 2 in the front one in the rear its the teraflex kit. I am thinking it could be the shock length. My tires are not stock theyre 265/75/16 and are an e-load range sitting on procomp 7069 rims with 4 inch backspacing. But i have had them quite a while before this all started. Maybe they could be causing extra wear on the shocks though due to weight difference from the stock 225,s ?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well i finally tracked down what i think is my problem. My draglink ball joints are worn and thats where the knocking sound is coming from. Also i now have developed a slight shimmy in the steering at around 70km to 80km/hr. Must be from this draglink allowing that bit of play in the wheels. Still seems a little retarded this would happen at 20,000km. Well off to the dealership to see what they say.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well dealership says its in spec but it still feels a little scary i dont know what to do other than upgrade and fix it myself im so frustrated
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey,
sorry I haven't responded in a while.. I have some thoughts for you..

first off, can you take a picture of your front setup, both sides. a good picture to show shocks, springs, tie rod, drag link ends...etc. that will help.

I've replaced a lot of my steering in the past 4 months, so I have some insight to this area. First off, rotational movement in the tie rod is normal.. however the bushing could be blown. Would see leaking or torn boots, etc. One other thing to try is your sway bar. Mine had shifted about one inch to the driver when I installed my lift and the bolt from teh sway bar links was hitting the shock mounts. Sorry, the pictures are bad, but you can see some wear in the shock housing area..
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120201_161310.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	313951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120201_161235.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	313952

Lets start there and let us see some pictures. The higher quality the more we can help..
Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Edit to my post above.. actually the sway bar link was hitting the spring housing when my sway bar shifted an inch over.. a BFH fixed that problem... along with new shocks.

edit to my edit: its dumping rain or I'd take a better picture..
Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will take some pics but this issue is not visible i just feel it. It is definitely the draglink joints making the knock in the steering
Old 05-07-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Green-man
I will take some pics but this issue is not visible i just feel it. It is definitely the draglink joints making the knock in the steering
I understand.. just need to start narrowing it down. Do you have any local 4x4 shops in the area? most of them will at least take a look and tell you whats going on. Could be tie rod, drag link, track bar, ball joints, steering stabilizer, shocks. without double checking the torque and looking over bushings its hard to tell. If the money is there, you could replace one item at a time until you find it..?

I've had some rattles in the past and when I found the problem is wasn't the obvious.. for instance.
my bolt at my rear shock loosened and it made it sound like my spacer in the rear spring had popped out of its seat, just turned out I needed to retorque my shock and it went away. Also, just this weekend, I found that my steering stabilizer bolt was loose and wrong size, so I'm replacing that to get rid of a clunk in my steering wheel. The vibrations traveled all the way up and I felt it when I turned. similar to the sway bar interference with the spring perch.. sometimes its an easy solution, just not the obvious..

I'm going to re-read your post to see if anything jumps out again..

Quick Reply: bad shocks?