Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

bad shocks?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your shocks? I had the same issue and it turns out all four of my Teraflex shocks were blown. They replaced them and the ride is a million times better.. snap a picture at your tires and you'll get some good feedback.. Here's what mine looked like shot..
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120201_161334.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	278469
Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running stock shocks with the spacer kit. But i will have another look under there and see what i can see.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

So i have checked the trackbar bolts while someone turned my wheel they seem fine. Everything seems tight and springs are seated proper the only thing that has lots of movement is the tierod it seems like there is a hell of a lot of rotational movement in it.more than seems normal to me but no lap play. The tierod makes metal on metal clank sound when i move it also it moves very easy even while someone is turning the steering wheel. Is this normal?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Green-man
So i have checked the trackbar bolts while someone turned my wheel they seem fine. Everything seems tight and springs are seated proper the only thing that has lots of movement is the tierod it seems like there is a hell of a lot of rotational movement in it.more than seems normal to me but no lap play. The tierod makes metal on metal clank sound when i move it also it moves very easy even while someone is turning the steering wheel. Is this normal?
Same exact issue here dude.....I know everybody will say rotational movement is normal but mine.moves like yours....super easy.and.clanks.......clanks,that's a weird word......scuba is a pretty weird word too...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was beginning to think i was alone on this issue or that i just had a complex.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

bump for a answer lol
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Can anybody throw a little insight right hurra???
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

So its been quite a while checked everything a few times i give up just drive it till somethin fails i suppose
Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is the spacer kit that you have in there? (or the leveling kit?)

I am wondering if what you are experiencing are your stock shocks starting to top out.

I just spend a lot of time measuring the extended, ride height, and collapsed lengths of some stock-replacement shocks I am running on my JK to see how my tiny 1.75" BB would affect them. I was running the shocks with stock suspension for half a year now. I went ahead and lifted the JK about 1.5" at both ends using my 1.75" pucks minus the factory isolators. I'm not comfortable with where the shocks are riding in their stroke, and the small about of lift introduced some harshness in the ride.

From what I understand Sport shocks are already problematic... but under a small lift or BB, I imagine they would be worse.

I also noticed you adjusted your tire pressure. That SHOULD have helped a good amount. Are you running factory tires, or tires with a factory load range?

It sounds like you checked everything else out under there...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I also have the clank in the tie-rod bar, and drag link. Frustrating.

I dont "think" I can hear it out on the road, but I sure can when I'm under the Jeep interrogating front end parts. I also have the steering clunk, and I'm wondering if they're related.

From everything I can tell though, that tie-rod bar and drag link clunk is normal.

Quick Reply: bad shocks?