Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

bad shocks?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad shocks?

So i recently started a thread about my steering possibly failing, turns out everything is good there. But my whole jeep seems to vibrate a heck of a lot when driving on some crappier road surfaces. Kind of like an old car with bad struts. Now i am not calling my jk a car so dont go there lol. Just wondering if maybe a shock upgrade might help with this loose feel over bumps. I have a teraflex levelling kit and was also wondering what shocks people reccomend with it. Anyone experience this old rattly feel with a newish jk? Mine is a 2011 sport manual.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am feeling your pain too. After doing some research, I saw that you should re-torque all the parts needed to do the install of the leveling kit. A few people saw improvements from doing that. Otherwise, check tire balance, pressure, etc. But yes new shocks will improve your ride.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless your shocks have been leaking, I'd say the problem is not shocks. Shocks slow down major spring oscillations in the suspension so your beer doesn't bounce out the back as often, but for smaller vibrations you need to find whats shaking and why.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ya i have re-torqued everything under my jeep i mean everything. Im thinking from the last post it could be shocks its not really a small annoying thing more of a what the hell is wrong with my jeep something isnt right here kind of thing. Fairly substancial "loose" feeling especially front end.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Green-man
Ya i have re-torqued everything under my jeep i mean everything. Im thinking from the last post it could be shocks its not really a small annoying thing more of a what the hell is wrong with my jeep something isnt right here kind of thing. Fairly substancial "loose" feeling especially front end.
Alignment then.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had an allignment, tried dropping my tire pressure to 32 but now the tpms light comes on. So frustrating wish i could look under there while driving
Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Green-man
So i recently started a thread about my steering possibly failing, turns out everything is good there. But my whole jeep seems to vibrate a heck of a lot when driving on some crappier road surfaces. Kind of like an old car with bad struts. Now i am not calling my jk a car so dont go there lol. Just wondering if maybe a shock upgrade might help with this loose feel over bumps. I have a teraflex levelling kit and was also wondering what shocks people reccomend with it. Anyone experience this old rattly feel with a newish jk? Mine is a 2011 sport manual.
You might want to look at a monotube shock like the RS7000MT if you spend a lot of time on dirt roads.
http://www.gorancho.com/shocks.php?shock=RS7000MT

They will offer a firmer ride/stability on road and off. You will have quicker damping response time with a monotube as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks i will look into shocks a little more any ideas what shocks would mesh with the teraflex spacer levelling kit?a lot of brands seem to start at 2 inches of lift.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If your shocks were getting the job done before this problem, then they are probably getting the job done now unless one or more shocks have failed completely.

Shocks will keep a good suspension from bouncing around like monkees on a trampoline, but they won't compensate for a problem in the suspension.

To test this for yourself inexpensively, see if you can score some cheap take-off shocks from another JK. If the problem continues, it wasn't failed shocks on your rig.

If your shocks are the wrong length, they will keep your suspension from flexing fully, but it won't cause the problem you're having.

A killer set of shocks is always a good thing, but don't expect them to cover up what else may be wrong.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well i am really just trying to figure out what is actually wrong or if this rough crappy ride is normal. This is a 2011 sport with about 17000 km on it and very little mods. Levelling kit and some rock rails tires and rims. It just really feels loose on bumps, even on road, i have checked numerous joints and tourqued everything i could find. I just cant figure out what it could be. I just want to keep my jeep in good shape and enjoy the ride and to me something needs attention. I am new to the whole jeep thing as this is my first. Just hoping someone else has experienced this and found a solution. Perhaps i will have a mechanic take it for a drive. By the way if it helps anyone venture a guess i feel this through my pedals quite a bit.

Quick Reply: bad shocks?