Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bad Cooper Tires 35"

Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Cooper Tires 35"

I was very stoked to have purchased a set of 35" Cooper STT. The gal at the tire shop told me that I could save $75 a tire if I bought "blems". She stated, "they just have lettering flaws, and will perform just fine".

So on Friday morning I had them installed before work. On the way to work, I noticed a shimmy at 40+ MPH. I dropped the tire pressure to 30, with no change. I read all of the post on here that I could find and thoroughly checked all the bolts and everything I could. Everything seemed good.

This morning I dropped the JK off at a highly recommended alignment shop. Told the guy my dilemma, and he said he would figure it out. A few hours later he called telling me the alignment was not too bad. But I had a bad set of tires. He said the carcass can shift during the injection process causing the tires to wobble funny during rotation.

He recommended that I take them back. The tire shop is closed on Monday. So I will be there when they open. I surely hope that the Cooper Dealer will do the right thing, by exchanging them for non-blems. I'm sure it will cost me that $75 per tire I saved. It's the waste of time that really sucks.

Anyone else have something like this happen?

What rotten luck

Last edited by Rayster; 11-21-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a set of the coopers right now and I dont like them at all. I have had them for 3-4 weeks now and just ordered some swamper truxxus tires today.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I have a set of 35's and they have been great!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rayster
I was very stoked to have purchased a set of 35" Cooper STT. The gal at the tire shop told me that I could save $75 a tire if I bought "blems". She stated, "they just have lettering flaws, and will perform just fine".

So on Friday morning I had them installed before work. On the way to work, I noticed a shimmy at 40+ MPH. I dropped the tire pressure to 30, with no change. I read all of the post on here that I could find and thoroughly checked all the bolts and everything I could. Everything seemed good.

This morning I dropped the JK off at a highly recommended alignment shop. Told the guy my dilemma, and he said he would figure it out. A few hours later he called telling me the alignment was not too bad. But I had a bad set of tires. He said the carcass can shift during the injection process causing the tires to wobble funny during rotation.

He recommended that I take them back. The tire shop is closed on Monday. So I will be there when they open. I surely hope that the Cooper Dealer will do the right thing, by exchanging them for non-blems. I'm sure it will cost me that $75 per tire I saved. It's the waste of time that really sucks.

Anyone else have something like this happen?

What rotten luck
I take it the other shop tried to re-balance them again?
Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jesse0376
I have a set of the coopers right now and I dont like them at all.
Just to ask...what don't you like about them?

I've run Cooper Discoverer S/T since i was 16. Lately i was running the STTs on my '07 2-door.
only reason I'm running the BFG on my '11 4-door is I get them free.

I don't like Cooper car tires....but I'd recommend their truck tires to anyone and everyone!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

I have had Cooper's on a lot of my vehicles over the years and have been very happy with them. Sounds like you took a gamble and unfortunately it did not pay off, if it had then I think I would be looking for a similar deal through my local Cooper dealer.

Hopefull they do what is right and get you the non-blem tires and it just cost you what you expected to pay to begin with.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

The "gal" at the shop obviously steered you wrong and made you believe that there were just mislettering. I think shes to blame because if your haveing this many probs with tires that just have lettering messed there i think that there id more wrong with the tires then she has told you
Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 35" conclusion

Thanks for everyone's input. I called the dealer/installer this morning, and they checked out the tires. One was found bad mounted onthe rear and shaking the entire vehicle. Even though the Cooper website implied that blems are not warrantied the same as 1st. The dealer stands behind all tires they sell, and it was not an issue. Everything is great and I am very pleased with the outcome.

I don't know what to say about what the alignment guy said... I have a smooth ride up to 70mph (that's as fast as I tested).

Last edited by Rayster; 11-22-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jesse0376
I have a set of the coopers right now and I dont like them at all. I have had them for 3-4 weeks now and just ordered some swamper truxxus tires today.
Watcha gonna do with the coops? 35's?
Old 11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TreyJkOrlando
Watcha gonna do with the coops? 35's?

Yeah, what he said...?

Quick Reply: Bad Cooper Tires 35"