Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Backordered!? Damn!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backordered!? Damn!

So I ordered the Drake grille inserts from Quadratec and of course they are backordered. Would have been nice to know before I ordered them. Anyway, how long should I be expecting to wait? Just wondered what experiences people had with Qtec lately with backordered products. Maybe I should just cancel the order. I really want them and can't seem to find anyone else that sells them though.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your pain....that has been my experience EVERY TIME I have placed an order with them. I end up canceling and finding it somewhere else. There are LOTS of other options out there.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

We ordered the grab bars for the rollcage and forgot. 1 month later remembered and checked of course back ordered. It would be nice if they had it on site if out of stock. Or atleast a heads up email saying its out of stock.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

While that certainly DOES suck...why don't you just make your own? There's a bunch of threads about doing your own grille inserts for only about $20-25, and it looks great!
Old 06-06-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

I have read all those threads and I really don't have the talent to make my own. I can't even change my own oil yet. I thought the Drake inserts would be something that I could actually try to do myself or maybe with a little help. I don't know. Guess I'll cancel my order if I don't hear anything this week.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lulu2533
I have read all those threads and I really don't have the talent to make my own. I can't even change my own oil yet. I thought the Drake inserts would be something that I could actually try to do myself or maybe with a little help. I don't know. Guess I'll cancel my order if I don't hear anything this week.
If you do it the way I did (with the plastic gutter mesh found at any hardware store, some Goo Gone, and Gorilla Glue) and you have a set of scissors - it becomes nothing more than a craft project. Here's a picture of what it should look like from the inside of the grille:

Old 06-06-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Do you have a thread for that Merlin?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Do you have a thread for that Merlin?
Not personally - that pic was from my install for a buddy looking to do the same. But I'll see if I can find the one I used when I did my install.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Not personally - that pic was from my install for a buddy looking to do the same. But I'll see if I can find the one I used when I did my install.
Thanks Merlin, much appreciated!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Update: here's the original "Grille Mod" thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...4194-Grill-Mod

Basically it's like this:

1. The day before you start this install, soak the 30 or so little 1" electrical blocks in Goo-gone for about a day to get rid of the sticky tape on the back (you can find them and the small zip ties in the electrical aisle at Home Depot)

2. Remove grille (which includes the little annoying screw things across the top and the blinkers - which just twist out)

3. Scuff up the inside of the grille with some sandpaper, so the Gorilla glue holds better.

4. Gorilla glue those electrical blocks in place (I'd recommend wearing some latex gloves for this - that glue can leave a slight stain on your hands for a day or so)

5. Let them sit like that overnight so the glue cures.

6. Cut 7 lengths of the plastic gutter mesh into strips just wider than your grille slots - but wide enough to reach the electrical blocks (IIRC, I think the mesh came in a 6" roll, and I cut it down to about 4")

7. Zip tie the mesh to the electrical blocks

8. Cut off excess zip tie strip

9. Replace grille on JK

10. Sit back, enjoy a and admire your work.

11. Post pics of your accomplishment on JK for others to enjoy!

(And hopefully that pic above helps with 3-6 in where to put things, how big to make them, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Backordered!? Damn!