Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auxiliary Battery Connection

Old 05-11-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Battery Connection

Okay so I have a winch, bumper with LEDs, and a 50" light bar. I just added the light bar about a week ago and it started draining my battery like crazy. Is there anything I could buy that hooks up to the battery and then the individual connections go to the auxiliary connector? Or anything that could save my battery from getting fried while also keeping the 3 connections?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The light bar shouldn't be draining your battery when it's off. Sounds like a short somewhere.

There are several options for organizing your wiring. Due to the winch power draw, that should be handled separately with a solenoid our disconnect if preferred.

You could go with a simple distribution/junction block like this. You run one fused wire from the battery to the block and then attach your accessories to the block. You still need to install a fuse, relay, and switch for each accessory.

You could also go with a fuse box which combines the distribution block and fuses into one package like this. Then you only need the relay and switch for each assessory.

Or you could install an sPod which combines everything into one complete package like this. All you add is the accessory power and ground connections to the source box for each accessory.

You could make your own and save some coin as seen in this thread.

No matter which path you choose, safety is a major concern and not to be taken lightly. All components (wiring, fuses, relays, switches, and fuse holders) should be carefully installed and properly rated for the draw of the accessory and the length of the wiring. If you need help with that part just ask. The last thing you want is this...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep on fire.jpg
Views:	6788
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	646786  
Old 05-12-2016, 02:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm missing something here. You have 3 items connected to your battery.
These are 3 things that consist of one item (winch) that may be powered on 2-4 times a year.
Another being an off-road 50" light bar, only used once in a while, what is the amp draw? Or what is the rated wattage?
You also have some form of "bumper LEDs", I assume little decorative LEDs? Wattage/Amp draw?

The point being, there is no way your killing the battery while the engine is running. The winch may as well not be there. It is an open circuit and just along for the ride. The 50" LED bar should be the same, an open circuit aside from those few times a year that your out wheeling while the working class sleep. The little decorative LEDs I am imagining on the bumper barely absorb anything.

So what am I missing?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as soon as I hooked up the light bar the engine light turned on and through trial and error I realized that the connections were causing a battery failure or less of an output it may just be a short that I need to fix but I was also looking to get some amperage boost as well because the battery health had deteriorated and I just got it a couple months ago. Thank you guys so much for your commentary it is much appreciated!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would start by fixing the light bar problem. How did you install it? Did you use a supplied harness or make your own? Are you using a relay? If so, what wires are connected to what pins? Is it a SPST or SPDT relay? Typically a relay is wired as follows...

Pin 30 - fused from battery.
Pin 87 - to accessory positive.
Pin 85 - positive from switch.
Pin 86 - ground.

The accessory ground goes to the chassis and the switch feed is from a switched source. If it's a SPDT relay then it will have a pin 87a which is left empty.

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Battery Connection