Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

auto or manual...that (is) the question

Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto or manual...that (is) the question

OK, so i tried to do some searching on the subject before posting this. as my signature states, I currently have a 09 6spd Rubicon. I have the chance to buy a 09 unlimited rubicon in stone white, which i love the color and have been wanting a 4dr, anyway. my only concern is that the unlimited is an automatic. anyone here regret getting an auto? on the flip side, does anyone here wish they had an automatic over a 6spd? i wheel pretty hard, but only get to do so every couple of months. i realize that i will have to to the front drive shaft. my future plans for my 2dr were to move up to 37s-40s with the TF 2.5" lift, chopped flares, and a 1" BL. with the 4dr, my plans are to stick with a 2.5" lift and still cram 37s-40s under it. i know there are some concerns with a body lift on an auto. i also know that i will have to regear to 5.38s, where as with a 6spd, 5.13s would have sufficed for 37s. maybe im just scared of changing into an automatic and the horror stories that come with wheeling an auto.

stone white JKUs are hard to come by in this area and havent even found a 6spd for sale within 500 miles.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There isn't a six speed for sale within 500 miles for a reason...

I have a 6 speed unlimited and I've driven an auto, also. There is no way I would drive this Jeep with an automatic transmission. Just personal preference, of course.

I just think you can get a lot more out of it with a manual tranny.

And, I did have an auto TJ and didn't mind it.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
JK Super Freak

If you really, really, really must put a slush box in a wrangler, it is my opinion that you would be better off waiting for a while until jeep come out with a decent tranny. enjoy what you have, don't waste your money on the current slush box.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

trust me, the automatic tranny is the only thing keeping me from buying the unlimited tonight. thanks for the replies so far.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
trust me, the automatic tranny is the only thing keeping me from buying the unlimited tonight. thanks for the replies so far.
I used to hate automatics, too.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my 6 speed. I've owned two other automatics, and I don't think I'll ever go back to one. The control over your gearing is a lot more fun in my opinion, and makes wheeling more fun since you have to pay more attention to your rpm's.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was embattled with this exact dilemma recently. I drove my self pretty much insane over it. I have owned both a 6spd and Auto Rubicon. I recently sold a 6spd Unlimited X in exchange for a '10 Unlimited Sport Auto.

I will say that I enjoyed driving the 6spd around way more b/c the gearing makes the JKU feel less underpowered and a bit more fun. That said, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic really does suck w/ the manual.

Despite enjoying the 6spd more so than the auto I had a difficult time coming by a 6spd in the color and options i wanted.

I ended up moving back over to the Auto. Once I understood the ratios in the 4Spd vs. the 6Spd I was able to deal with the "perception" of horrible performance.

I started a thread a while back, https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...PU-Help-at-all to see if a tune would help. I have yet to try the tune.

Long story short I am happier with my '10 Unlimited Sport. Yes, I wish it was manual but oh well. When buying used, sometimes you have to strike while the iron is hot.

My .02 is if you really feel like this JKU is a solid deal and worth the upgrade drive both rides back to back and go with your gut.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I have discovered one advantage of the auto. If you break you foot you can still go wheeling. I haven't been in my Jeep for a month and a half and it will probably at least half that much yet before I can do it if not more. Don't really care for autos but wish I had one right now.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my auto, tried the stick, thought the clutch too high and being 6'3" a PITA to drive. I'm in this Jeep for the long haul with the life time powertrain, I'll be 57 in 20 years and plan to still own the Jeep and be able to drive it when my Army knees are replaced.

You also get downhill assist and other traction controls from the auto, some hate these things, others find them better.

Mileage will suck worse with the A/T especially coming from a 2 door stick.

How much money does the trade out cost you? honestly with tax, tags, resale of your vehicle, double insurance while you own both? Could you put that money in to paint and make yours white?
While you're at it, you can finish painting it (roll bars etc.). Figure what $3500 at a reputable shop?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
I have discovered one advantage of the auto. If you break you foot you can still go wheeling. I haven't been in my Jeep for a month and a half and it will probably at least half that much yet before I can do it if not more. Don't really care for autos but wish I had one right now.
feel your pain. i am also recovering from a broken right foot. just had the pins taken out. auto wouldnt have helped in my situation, though.

Quick Reply: auto or manual...that (is) the question