Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ARB diff covers

Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grade 8 is important because it holds up better when being bashed on rocks. However the ARB cover uses allen head bolts that are recessed into the cover. That means you don't need grade 8, even though they are.

Diff covers are usually torqued to like 35ft/lbs. You don't need grade 8 (or grade anything ) for that.

If you really cared, you could just go buy some grade 8 bolts to put them in whatever cover you wanted.

Cant' go wrong with ARB's. I've bought 4 of them!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Grade 8 is important because it holds up better when being bashed on rocks. However the ARB cover uses allen head bolts that are recessed into the cover. That means you don't need grade 8, even though they are.

Diff covers are usually torqued to like 35ft/lbs. You don't need grade 8 (or grade anything ) for that.

If you really cared, you could just go buy some grade 8 bolts to put them in whatever cover you wanted.

Yup. Grade 8 is where it's at. I'm sold. I'm for sure buying these. They look cool too. Haha
Old 03-12-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

they are stout diff covers, I painted mine black, but left the "ARB" area silver and red. I love them, they look good and give peace of mind
Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Is it easier to change the fluid with these?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jaseball5
Is it easier to change the fluid with these?
From what I've heard. Yes. Apparently you don't have to take off the cover to change oil. Because of the drain hole and dipstick/filler
Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sringer

From what I've heard. Yes. Apparently you don't have to take off the cover to change oil. Because of the drain hole and dipstick/filler
How would that be different (ease wise) from the factory ones? I know the ARBs are stronger, but even with the factory ones you can change your fluid without removing the cover.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers

The main issue between grade 5 and grade 8 is when you are using lube lockers. Grade 5 bolts can only be torqued to ~18fp, and lube lockers spec 30(?)ish. If you use RTV, grade 5 are not a problem.

I went with ARB's since they are stronger and they have grade 8 bolts, but they are not needed (stocks do not have them, and it is the weakness of the stamped steel that is the issue with stock diff covers, not the bolts)
Old 03-12-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

You don't have to take off the diff covers to change the fluid with stockers either. I actually think it is more a pita to change the fluid on my ARB's, plus you have to measure your fluid or your breathers will be puking out stinky diff fluid if you over fill the ARB's.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Torrin

You don't have to take off the diff covers to change the fluid with stockers either. I actually think it is more a pita to change the fluid on my ARB's, plus you have to measure your fluid or your breathers will be puking out stinky diff fluid if you over fill the ARB's.
O well. The only oil I ever do my self is a straight up regular oil change. I never touch diffs or anything else.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

O well. The only oil I ever do my self is a straight up regular oil change. I never touch diffs or anything else.
The diff is 10x easier to do than a standard oil change imo.

Quick Reply: ARB diff covers