Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone use Thule rack?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Thule rack?

Just wondering if anyone has used the Thule roof rack with the rain gutter attachment on the hardtop? If so what did you think? I need a roof rack but don't really want to drop a 1000 on one.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

I have it and love it. Perfect for taking my ocean kayak to the shore.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rstratdn
Just wondering if anyone has used the Thule roof rack with the rain gutter attachment on the hardtop? If so what did you think? I need a roof rack but don't really want to drop a 1000 on one.
I have the Thule gutter mount system for carrying around my snowboard during the winter months. It works very well for this. I don't know what you plan to put on your rack, but I would just watch that you don't load it up too much as the gutters are obviously fibreglass like the rest of the hard top.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

yeah that was what I was thinking. Need something for some luggage but I guess i'll just end up dropping the cash for a real roof rack
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi

Love it been running it for 3 winters with Yakima skybox with no issues of cracking. I have placed upto 150lbs of gear in the box several times.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Awesome thats good news for me then. Thanks for the info
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them. They're great for my surfboard, skis, snowboards and poles. I wouldn't trust it to hold heavy luggage unless I position it between the load bars, resting on the roof, and strap it down to the load bars with rope or bungees... that is if you don't mind scratching up the roof a bit(you could lay a towel down underneath to avoid scratches I guess).
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Has anybody put their bikes up there yet?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 PM
LF3
JK Newbie

I drilled holes in the top and put a Thule track system down. I don't trust the gutter mounted one, especially on the freedom panels. It's a great mod, but you have to be smart about it. The hard top isn't rated to mount anything. I don't carry more than 100 lbs (2 kayaks) up there. the fastest I've had it with 2 kayaks is about 65 mph and the longest I've traveled with them is 4 hours. The Thule feet pop off easily from the track, so I can take the rack off in about 10 seconds when I don't need it. Having it up there with nothing on it causes wind noise and could still put stress on the top. I'm glad I did it.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Nothing wrong with the thule gutter mounts. I have travelled with my yakima box loaded with 125lbs of ski/winter gear and drove 120km/hr (75mph) on 6 to 8hr trips and I even wheeled with the gutter mounts & box on top with no issues with the gutters cracking over the last 4 years.

I do keep the gutter mounts only on the rear portion of my 4 door as I will not mount the gutter mounts/rack on the freedom panels as I am leary of the panels handling the load stress and lifting at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Thule rack?