Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone use slime in their tires?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use slime in their tires?

Just wondering if anyone uses Slime in their tires to help prevent leaks. If so, have you noticed any problems? Am thinking of using it, is it OK to use with Nitrogen?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slime or Sweetened Condensed Milk

I've known a few West Texas dove and blue quail hunters that used Slime in their tires to help with thorn and cacti punctures but these were off-road only vehicles. Knew some others that used sweetened condensed milk instead of the Slime. Always wondered what the smell would be like when you break the bead on one of those milked tires.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hillmonkey
Just wondering if anyone uses Slime in their tires to help prevent leaks. If so, have you noticed any problems?...
From SLiME web site: "Slime Tire Sealant may come in contact with the sensor in a way that renders the sensor TEMPORARILY inoperable until it is properly cleaned, inspected and re-installed by a tire care professional."
Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you still have the sensors...

CAUTION!
The TPMS has been optimized for the original equipment tires and wheels. TPMS pressures have been established for the tire size equipped on your vehicle. Undesirable system operation or sensor damage may result when using replacement equipment that is not of the same size, type, and/or style. Aftermarket wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not use aftermarket tire sealants or balance beads if your vehicle is equipped with a TPMS, as damage to the sensors may result.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be forewarned, it will damage the tire sensors. They can claim you can clean it all they want, in reality it causes too many problems and no one I know at a tire shop will take the time to clean one. They'll just recommend replacement.

It can work in some instances, but be sure to let anyone working with the tires know you put it in there for their safety.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

So bringing this thread back from the dead. Is there any more news about this stuff? Saw it in last months JP magazine and am curious.
Does it hold up on the trail?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:29 AM
JK Freak

Well I guess that answers my question......
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I slimed one of my tires because i could not find a slow air leak i was having. It did mess with my balance because when i get up to 45 mph it will wobble then it seems like the slime distributes around the tire again and it goes away until i let it sit for awhile and it has time to settle again. No problems with the pressure sensure though.

Quick Reply: Anyone use slime in their tires?