Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone take off hardtop without help?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built this. Got the idea from a member here. Back up to it, slowly pick up and slide it on until it is half way on, get out slide it the rest of the way. Takes longer to take the 8 bolts out than it does to remove the top.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3839675500.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	163968  

Last edited by db09JKU; 05-24-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by db99wj
I built this. Got the idea from a member here. Back up to it, slowly pick up and slide it on until it is half way on, get out slide it the rest of the way. Takes longer to take the 8 bolts out than it does to remove the top.
Been thinking about building one of these this weekend. I would love a hoist setup, but unfortunately only have a metal.carport. This rack is about my best option.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
Built one myself thanks to your post an the idea from others! Sure does take the stress out of my help dropping it haha.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I almost always remove mine alone. I simply open the back window, close the tailgate, and slide/shimmy the top onto my head and balance it with my hands. For now I set it down onto some wood pieces so it's not directly on pavement. Pretty safe as long as you take your time and make sure that you don't rush putting it back on otherwise you are more than likely going to crack a tail light, or chip the top.

The hardest part (in my opinion) is the transition from carrying it on your head/hands and shifting it to my back so I can kneel to set it down. After a few tries it becomes 2nd nature, but at first you might feel awkwardly out of control

Quick Reply: Anyone take off hardtop without help?