Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone take off hardtop without help?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled off my hard top this afternoon and it was a bit more difficult than I expected. I had to carry it to the back yard and into a shed. I had the help of a friend and there were a couple times going through the gate that I realized trying by myself would have been the end of the hardtop. Having the back hatch come up along the way didn't help. Just to top it off, putting on the soft top for the first time was a job by itself!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I take my hard top off by myself. It takes a bit longer about 1/2 hour. I use the ratchet straps with eyebolts in studs in ceiling. The hardest part is sliding the 2x4 with the eye bolts under the rear of the hard top. Once that is done it is a piece of cake. There is a write up on here with pics of contraption.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tolh13
I have done it by myself. but the lift is a much better idea.its not the weight its just awkward and expensive if dropped.they was some one else that posted that they only lifted over the rear gate and tire to a padded table and slide it.

That was me. I used to do it routinely with my YJ.
I back the Jeep up to the awaiting "tire spaced" shelves
I kneel in the back, lift it, balance it, and move it the
pair of awaiting, parallel storage shelves(padded). These
are roughly level with the bottom of the top (before removal).
The gate/tire doesn't swing far enough on the JK to
get out of the way of the top on the passenger side. And
the gate can't open just partway because of the shelves.
So the gate had to stay shut.
So with the JK, it's more awkward(size) and a further reach to clear the tire and brake light. Without those it would be a piece of cake. I took it off by myself the first time because I was anxious to remove it. I had to lean over the tire/brake light to set it down. Kind've awkward.
I've used help each time since. I do have an idea that might make this technique a lot simpler. Besides removing the spare/brake light of course. After I try it, I'll post.

One note: Since your only lifting the top(window up) about
a foot off the jeep and setting it down just behind the tailights
onto a shelf, there is no danger of dropping it to the floor.
The trick is to clear the taillights with the front edge of the top's
base when you set it down. Otherwise you land on the tailight and/or scratch the top. The extra reach makes this
trickier. Of course you have to be comfortable lifting/balancing
80 lbs over your head for minute or so.

I haven't put the JK top back on this way because I can't stand
behind the Jeep, lift the top, and reach over the spare/brake light
to position it. (Actually I didn't try). I'm going to try removing the brake light bracket and spare to see how time consuming that is. That plus my other idea may rival a hoist or waiting on a friend. This may sound like a dumb approach to some, but
it's really quick if you can remove the obstacles(spare/brake light)

Hint on my newly hatched idea.... It's similar to portaging a canoe.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

I guess if you have a setup where you have the jeep in a garage or you have say a rolling cart I could see going it alone. In my case, it had to be carried about 40 feet, turned sideways through a gate, and then maneuvered into a shed. But I agree that by itself it might be manageable. I almost tried it because when I got started nobody was around and couldn't wait to get it off. I think also I should have found a way to keep the windows down - that flipping up kind of throws you off.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

w/o the spare/brake light in the way. You can tale the top
off with the window down no problem. But you can't put
it back on without raising the top.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

I have taken the top(98 TJ) off/on by myself for 3 years now....it is a little tricky but if you take your time its not that bad....p.s. I am a tall skinny chick.......I just bought a JK and am going to pick it up next week.....would you guys say that the JK top is easier or harder to take off/on solo???
Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default yup

I have a 2dr. Taken the top off by myself, put it back on too. Just make sure you've got a beer ready to go for that back ache. I put together a hoist in the garage after the 3rd/4th time or so.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had to have the wife help me guide it....but can shoulder the weight by myself.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JeepGrrrrL
I have taken the top(98 TJ) off/on by myself for 3 years now....it is a little tricky but if you take your time its not that bad....p.s. I am a tall skinny chick.......I just bought a JK and am going to pick it up next week.....would you guys say that the JK top is easier or harder to take off/on solo???
i would say its the same deal as the TJ, the only down side, the JK dents alot easier than the TJ. If you make a mistake its going to show
Old 05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

You may or may not have the room for this, and it sounds like you already have your heart set on a winch/pully lift but for those of you who want a cheap solution might want to consider the "shelf" solution:

By myself it takes me about 5 minutes to take it on and 5 minutes to put it back on (minus removing the hardware).

Quick Reply: Anyone take off hardtop without help?