Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone take off hardtop without help?

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone take off hardtop without help?

Has anyone taken off their hardtop without help? I mean no help from an overhead winch or another person?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I use to do it on my 95'........I was a little younger and a little crazier back then. I wouln't recomend it though.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

There was a post several months ago from someone that took it off himself (I tried to find it via serach for you, but no such luck). If I remember correctly, he concluded his "how to" instructions with the warning that no one should do it his way, and should instead bug a neighbor or friend to help for the 3 minutes it'll take...

You may be able to handle the weight on your own just fine, but it's AWKWARD, to say the least.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
There was a post several months ago from someone that took it off himself (I tried to find it via serach for you, but no such luck). If I remember correctly, he concluded his "how to" instructions with the warning that no one should do it his way, and should instead bug a neighbor or friend to help for the 3 minutes it'll take...

You may be able to handle the weight on your own just fine, but it's AWKWARD, to say the least.
I remember it to, but no luck with the search.... I broke down and orderd the over head lift.... Thanks for taking the time to look it up. happy trails
Old 03-27-2007, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Riprock
I remember it to, but no luck with the search.... I broke down and orderd the over head lift.... Thanks for taking the time to look it up. happy trails
You're welcome, and probably did a smart thing by ordering.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

which one did you get? anyone have a preferred model? build my own?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have done it by myself. but the lift is a much better idea.its not the weight its just awkward and expensive if dropped.they was some one else that posted that they only lifted over the rear gate and tire to a padded table and slide it.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888

LOL, what about this thread. Not completely about hard top removal, but pretty funny stuff:
Originally Posted by Hitch
I've had my JK for about 2 weeks now, but have really only driven it once because I'm trying to keep it away from all the road salt we have here. So, my Jeep just sits in the garage waiting for parts to come in and the weather to warm up.

The other night the wife and kids were in bed early and I was itching to do something to my rig. I decided to get the hard top ready for removal so I could get my soft top out of the back like they recommend. I pulled off the 2 front panels and removed all the screws that hold the rear section on. A normal person would have called it a night, waited till the next day, and had someone help him...but when you have a screw loose you start to think "I bet I can do this by myself".

So, I climbed in the back and and used my back to push the top up while I tried to wiggle the soft top out. I couldn't quite get it high enough to get the soft top out, plus my legs were starting to burn...so I moved the hard top forward about 1 foot and set it down while I rested and got the soft top almost out. Then I lifted the hard top again to gain the final few inches of space necessary to push the ST out the back.

It wasn't as easy as I made it sound (my legs were shaking by the time I was done), but it worked and I don't think anything was scratched/bent/broken. I thought about rigging up some straps to the garage ceiling to lift the HT, but it was about 8 degrees in my garage that night and I figured it would be much quicker to just "put my back into it".

I would not recommend to anyone to try this, but I get some weird satisfaction out of doing stuff like this.

In conclusion; it is not easy, safe nor intelligent, but it is possible to remove the soft top by yourself without fully removing the hard top.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

funny stuff, i thought it was a big pain while using my contraption ive rigged up to the ceiling , took me about 1/2 hr. just to remove & 1/2 to re-install, that thing is pretty heavy 2dr. i couldn't imagine what its like with the soft top
Old 03-27-2007, 04:25 PM
HEK
JK Freak

I'm hoping someone has the plans for a home made contraption in the likes of an engine hoist for those of us that do not have a garage...:sad: , I took the hardtop off to remove the soft top with the help of the wife and son, it's not the weight but the the fear of dropping it and breaking the glass or worst cracking the plastic....

Quick Reply: Anyone take off hardtop without help?