Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually appreciate the numbers you have provided! And I battle a similar hill that I always have to downshift into 4th to maintain speed.. Now that I used the Flashpaq, that is a thing of the past. I am just looking to find a sidekick for the superhero if you will. It is sounding like K&N is the most recommended?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ronstar83
I actually appreciate the numbers you have provided! And I battle a similar hill that I always have to downshift into 4th to maintain speed.. Now that I used the Flashpaq, that is a thing of the past. I am just looking to find a sidekick for the superhero if you will. It is sounding like K&N is the most recommended?
i also think it is the most main stream and well know. i like trying different things. so that is one of the other reasons i went to Afe
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

I will admit that I had not heard of the Afe filter before I installed the K&N. I would be interested in learning more about them, and I might have to try looking them up on Google. I did know that I didn't want a CAI type filter and instead preferred a simple drop in.

I did a lot of research into the pros and cons of using a reusable drop in filter. I was worried about stories on the net saying that warranties were being denied because oil from these filters was getting on the MAF sensor.

One of the things that I liked about the K&N is that they offered to help their customers fight back against any denied warranty claims. Now I realize that this is all marketing, and might not be worth what I hope it is, but at least they acknowledge the issue exists and have addressed it.

I am glad that I was able to see some gains from my investment. Just don't go into it expecting miracles and I think you will be happy.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

I got one because i'll never need to by an other filter ever again
Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joisey
I got one because i'll never need to by an other filter ever again
I noticed a slight but noticeable difference in throttle response when I first put in a K&N filter, but I am also running with the Flashpaq 91 octane which I installed a couple of months earlier. The programmer itself provide a much stronger improvement in throttle response when I installed it. The factory programs the PCM with low throttle response to avoid unnecessary RPM variation which reduces fuel economy. It also provides a more throttle control (less sensitive) when crawling through very technical terrain.

After a few weeks, I no longer felt the same throttle response so I figured the PCM had adjusted to it. So I pulled it out for two weeks and then put it back ing. I felt the same slight increase in throttle response. I had no way of measuring this, so it may have just been wishful thinking.

I did all of this before my engine awakening.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you everyone pick up the AFe Drop-in filter?

I am swapping out my Airraid CAI system and going back to stock box with a AEV Ram-air snorkel and like to get a rechargable airfilter...but not K&N

Quick Reply: Anyone see a noticable difference using drop in filters?