Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone remove their rollbar padding?

Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going for the stripped-down look like me, I say go for it. The less junk hanging off my Jeep the better. I'm probably going to remove the plastic around the windshield too.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't meant to be a nanny, but I wanted to put a reminder out on the safety aspect of roll bar padding.

Race cars require roll bar padding on any section of cage within arms reach. And they wear helmets..

</end-buzz-kill>
Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I don't meant to be a nanny, but I wanted to put a reminder out on the safety aspect of roll bar padding.

Race cars require roll bar padding on any section of cage within arms reach. And they wear helmets..

</end-buzz-kill>
Actually, you are quite wrong on race cars requiring padding. The closest forms of racing to our jeeps, Ultra 4 (King of the Hammers), SCORR, LORR etc. not one of those vehicles has padding. Just do a google image search if you have never attended the events in person. But yes, they wear helmets, and yes they use 5 point safety harnesses. What are your thoughts on running without doors, that must be go beyond any safety guidelines

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rs&FORM=HDRSC2

Last edited by GCM 2; 09-20-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

That's interesting regarding those series... My experience is with local circle track racing. They seem to do everything they can to make sure drivers are safe.

I was just throwing out a reminder that there is the safety aspect of roll bar padding -- I wasn't trying to persuade either way.

Doorless = a calculated risk? I'd put roll bar padding in the same category.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately, I can't tell from any of the photos what those that have removed the pads and covers have done with the rear dome light and the wire loom running from the paasenger side rear up the angled portion of the roll bar. Did you simply remove the dome light altogether? Did you leave the dome light and zip tie the wire loom to the roll bar?

Same question for the wire looms feeding the overhead speaker system.

Thx
Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

One of the guys said he eliminated the dome light and put an led light by the bottom of the roll bar, and the speaker wires were just exposed about an inch.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

The engineering name for that pad is called deleathalization pad. Just saying
Old 08-16-2016, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by woodyvw9
I have thought about taking mine off to wash or maybe dye them so they don't look as sun-faded.

Has anyone tried clothing dye to bring the black back out?
I just pulled mine off and brought them to the local wash and fold a threw them into extra large washer. It's a bit of a pain to get off because you need to remove the speaker bar and rear dome lights but we'll worth it mine came out like new
Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 133 Likes on 119 Posts

I pulled the rest of my padding off about a week ago. It all comes off easily enough, you have to undo the seat belt bolts and the sound bar but that's no big deal. I'm getting ready for a little extra roll cage and I doubt I'll ever put the padding back on. But then I like that stripped down look. I just went out and took some photos. The wiring running up is mine, I extended everything up across the roll bar a few years about to get it out of the tub. Now I'll be putting it back i guess..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup. It's hard to weld a cage together with it on...

Quick Reply: Anyone remove their rollbar padding?