Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?

I was looking at the Quick Disconnects available for JK softops. It seems the purpose is so you can quickly remove the entire top and frame instead of just folding it down ...

How many of you guys remove the entire top instead of just folding it down? I'm sure it definitely looks better and add more room in the back by removing it completely.

How heavy is it ??? How much longer does it take to remove and install ???

For folks that have the quick disconnects ... which brand is the best ???

Thanks ...
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I have mine completely off right now. It's not hard to do at all just four torx and it's done. It's in no way heavy, I make sure that the arms are strapped together before I remove it to keep it from trying to open up. Taking off the mounting brackets requires unzipping the roll bar padding down by the base of the seatbelts and pulling up enough to get to the two torx on each side... I'd say go for it!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hello,

I have removed mine a couple of times. Usually it's just folded down but if I know we have a stretch of decent weather I'll remove it for a few days.

It's actually very easy to remove, it's very light, and it doesn't take much room to store it. I leave it folded up and just lay it on my work bench when I don't have it on the Jeep.

I asked aboot quick disconnects like two years ago and this was the suggestion:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11033_002.htm

I still have never gotten around to ordering any myself but the member who suggested them seemed to like them.

Beel
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have removed mine once or twice. Not hard at all. One person can do it. Not sure on weight.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmhines
I was looking at the Quick Disconnects available for JK softops. It seems the purpose is so you can quickly remove the entire top and frame instead of just folding it down ...

How many of you guys remove the entire top instead of just folding it down? I'm sure it definitely looks better and add more room in the back by removing it completely.

How heavy is it ??? How much longer does it take to remove and install ???

For folks that have the quick disconnects ... which brand is the best ???

Thanks ...
Hi! I have removed it and it really isn't a big deal even without the quickies. I prefer to just put it down that way it's always there in case it rains. I've got several radios (Ham, Commercial, and CB) that my insurance company would prefer didn't get soaked ha ha! Take care... Mike
Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my top is down it is always off, I don't have a factory soft top, i use the trek top and love it. love the look with no top attached.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys ... if it EVER warms up again in Georgia .... I'll give it a try taking i all the way off ... as long as weatherman says it's OK ....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

You will find out quickly what you like. Dont waste money on quick disconnects. It takes zero time to take them off with a torx. I like it with no option to have the top on sometimes, it adds adventure. Sometimes I need to have an option and want to be able to be warm. You'll find your rhythm.
-Ram
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had my JK for three years and I have never folded it down. It is either up or off.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used to take mine off completely in the summer. I lived in an apartment with a garage and was close enough to work that I could walk in it was going to pour. It doesn't take too long to put it back on once it's been taken off. It doesn't seem to really weight that much either.

Since I bought a house and don't have a garage now, I think I'll be reclining rather then removing this summer. But I think the quick disconnects would be a great item to have it you plan to remove completely.

Quick Reply: Anyone remove Soft Top completely instead of just down?