Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone had experience with these motorcycle carriers?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That Guy 2

55 vrs 80 is why I did it...
Exactly! That too! Ha
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I run one of the Rage Powersports carriers... I think it's the 400 model. Steel beam, raw aluminum ramp and carrier.

It works ok for me!? I carry a '00 RM250 on it. Fits just fine with my stock-ish sized spare tire. In fact, the spare is a good leaning point for when you are strapping the bike down. With the bike upright, I clear by about 4" or so. Easy to get the bike up there - harder to take down. Once you get the hang of it, it's not bad at all.

I added trailer lights to it for safety reasons.

Attachment 407820
yo_marc

I have an application very similar to yours. I have a '14 Rubicon 2 door and I need to carry a KTM EXC500. How is the Powersports carrier working for you? Do you have any issues with rear end sag? What about drivability on the highway? Are you feeling more comfortable with it? I know our max tongue weight is 200lbs and Motorcycle / hitch is going to push that to close to 300.

I am also considering the Ultimate MX Hauler but it is much more expensive.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	510834Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier 2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	510835Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier 4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	510836Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier 5.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	510837
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure what just happened to all of the text I just wrote, but the pictures of my setup are above.

I purchased the Rage Powersports AMC-400 carrier and am extremely happy. I also bought the Curt Manufacturing 23590 Trailer Hitch Lock. This locking hitch pin also has a threaded insert that fits inside the carrier at the position of the hitch pin. This threaded insert accepts a bolt thread on the hitch pin that clamps one side of the carrier bar to the hitch receiver. This by itself locked the carrier to the receiver very securely. I also added the TMS Anti Rattle Tilt Bracket 2" Hitch Wobble Cargo Bike Rack Wheelchair Carrier Hauler. The Rage Powersports carrier comes with something similar but I saw this and felt that it would hold even better.

I mounted everything (including my KTM EXC500) and went for a drive at speeds up to 60mph or so and had no issues with the carrier. It held the motorcycle very securely and my Rubi felt very stable.

I was concerned about exceeding the 200 lb tongue weight limit of the 2 door wrangler. I think this combo puts it up about 260 to 280 lbs. I noticed a 1 to 2" drop in the back end at the rear tires but there seems to be no issue with drivability.

When I traded in my Ram my main concern was hauling my dirt bike. I think I have the solution here. I've messed around with pulling a trailer but the reduced speed limit here in California and the requirement to stay in the right 2 lanes made it very painful to drive through LA making my trip between Orange County up to Gorman OHV area.

Quick Reply: Anyone had experience with these motorcycle carriers?