Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone else worried about being decapitated by rollbar

Old 12-12-2006, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted everbody to know that life is great down here at 5'9.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cadster
Subject says it all. I'm 6'6" and the JK rollbar is dangerously low. Never had the problem in my TJ's. Anyone else similiarly concerned.? I have not driven one, but I did sit in one long enough to be more than a little freaked out. Didn't stop me from ordering one (WBI in Jan).
Dude...you are sooooo right on with that one. If you remove the styrofoam cover (to the side of the fat plastic sound bar), there is a SHARP metal edge that will puncture your skull if you hit a bump or get into an accident. I've already contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Chrysler about this dangerous item to see if they can re-engineer that bracket and replace it.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Big M
cadster I have been thinking the same thing. I feel like a gaint in the JK and I am about 3" shorter then you. I think they (DC) over compensated for the relatively lower seat height that was in the TJ. I know some guys that put spacers under their TJ seats to get up a little higher. I guess someone needs to make a lowering kit for these! Even with the seat adjusted all the way down my head still brushes the rollbar.
If you hear of a seat lowering kit, please let me know!
6'5" here
V
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
No,

but i am kinda eskeered of spiders.

...and clowns.

... and people who think H3's are offroad vehicles.

Small spiders I'm ok with,, but CLOWNS ARE EVIL AND WILL EAT ME!!

I do jack the seat up,, but I'm 5'7" and nowhere close to the rollbar at all.. and to help out with crash concerns,, The JK holds up great in high speed front end collisions,, I know first hand.. due to an old stupid lady,, yes I'm bitter..
Old 02-21-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

As you get older you will shrink and your Jeep will fit you better ...... be patient
Old 02-21-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Jedi

I'd have to say that in an accident, 99 out of 100 times that roll bar will save your ass instead of hurt you. If you're that worried about that one time, then maybe you might think about modifying it. Have somebody with a torch and a welder "fix" it for you.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

i do have to agree, i'm about 6'4" and my seat is all the way down and i look through the upper portion of the windshield. the top of my head is maybe 2" shy of the roll bar but it doesn't really bother me.....i do wish the seat would go about 4 inches lower though
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Want the roll bar bend or collapse some ,in a multi roll over, I think it will, so how high above your head should that roll bar be?

Last edited by slow2run; 02-23-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jamesr
This post makes no sense. How? I have to ask. If you don't wear a seat belt you should be more worried about the air bag snapping your neck. And if you are wearing a seat belt how is the roll bar going to cut your head off? It is not going to swing past if your jeep gets hit, and tou will be locked in your seat with your seat belt. Not to mention it is a large hollow pipe. Not to mention all new cars are crash tested over and over.

:confused:
X2 I agree with you

I'm 44, and I have never seen a Jeeper with the head cut...
Old 02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnum007
If you hear of a seat lowering kit, please let me know!
6'5" here
V
I believe I read in a thread somewhere here where someone lowered the drivers seat, not sure if they removed the adjustable portion of the seat and put it back in, or if they made a lower bracket or just what.

Quick Reply: Anyone else worried about being decapitated by rollbar