Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone else think it's weird or funny

Old 07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKSTONE
I think a lot of the lower reading group guys on here missed the entire point. We all know baskets, shovels, and hi lift jacks have their purposes. The point was there is absolutely NO purpose in hauling trail gear and empty baskets down the freeway on the way to the office every single day on a daily driver with 28" slicks other than being a poser. What the heck is the hi lift jack going to do anyway? This is pertaining to the people that say they do not wheel. There is nothing wrong with not wheeling your Jeep if that is your thing. Putting "wheeling equimpment" all over it is.
And no, I"m not worried about what people do, I think its cheesy/funny. And people wonder why Jeeps are turning into the new Yuppiemobile.
Its just funny. Kind of like the 350lb guy in his Xterra covered with Hyperlite decals and a wakeboard strapped to the top!
Maybe they change out their 28" tires when they go off roading. I guess I just don't care enough about what other people are doing in general, that, or the fact that they have so much unused trail crap on THEIR jeep, used or not, is not high on my priority list of what's important in the long run to my having a happy life. But if bitch'n about makes ya feel better, I'm all ears
Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If the owner wants to do that, so what? It's safe to assume he wouldn't do that if he didn't enjoy it. I know people who build telescopes, but hardly ever look through them. To them, the challenge is building a great scope--they're really not all that interested in the night sky (or the day sky if the sun is your thing). Maybe what's weird are people who poke their noses into other peoples' lives, trying to fit them into their own idea of what they ought to do with their time, money, telescopes or Jeeps.

Thanks Dr. PHIL If you consider bolting a shovel to a hood a challenge then you sir are probably one of the posers. Laughing at someone who tells me they have no desire to go off road yet roll around posing with GEAR is funny to me. You lableing that as "poking noses into their lives" is just as amusing little fella. This is a JK FORUM. This is wear we talk about JK's so if you don't like it or its such a waste of time why read or worse, make a dumb comment?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w00dchuck
Maybe they change out their 28" tires when they go off roading. I guess I just don't care enough about what other people are doing in general, that, or the fact that they have so much unused trail crap on THEIR jeep, used or not, is not high on my priority list of what's important in the long run to my having a happy life. But if bitch'n about makes ya feel better, I'm all ears

Wow, some people have poor comprehension skills. Maybe the sky is lined with Unicorns and Rainbows. Dude, hello? I know this guy and have worked with him for years. What don't you get? He doesn't go "off roading" as you put it. He simply likes to pose. Its funny to me and a lot of others. To be quite honest, riding around with axes and shovels strapped to your bumpers with wingnuts going 80 down the highway is really stupid and dangerous for the other cars around. What do you think happens when the axe flies off and goes through someones windshield or the 40lb high lift jack. I know a guy who had his hi lift pipe handle fall off the back of his Jeep going down the freeway. What happens when that goes through your wife's windshield?
Oh yeah, and if you didn't care or your time was just so valueable, you wouldn't be reading this much less responding.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Red
JK Enthusiast

I really don't care how people adorn their Jeep. Yeah, posers are aggravating, but thats their problem. I guess people aren't too fond of my muddy Jeep parked next to them dropping mud everywhere, but not my problem either. Couple points to keep in mind:

1. One of the guys I wheel with owns a car wash. You think his truck with his company logo all over it stays dirty long?

2. You can wheel without damaging the vehicle.

3. Just because it is stock doesn't mean it doesn't go off road.

4. Just because it is modified doesn't mean it goes off road.

5. Perhaps the high lift or whatever accessory came with it and they are to lazy to take it off or don't know any better.

There are probably lots of additional points to keep in mind. As long as they are being safe, let them have their fun. Why not invite them on a trail ride, as they already have some of the equipment anyway.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over 10 years ago I used to be one of the diehards that spent many weekends beating the snot out of my jeeps and leaving them muddy, scratched, and dented. Lots of trips to Paragon to prove that my junk could do it.

Well, fast forward to today with 2 kids, a hefty mortgage, and the economy the way it is, I don't worry about proving my junk anymore. I keep it relatively clean (the old military adage about taking care of your gear and it will take care of you comes to mind).

My offroading is still frequent, but with a purpose that is either fishing, hunting, or destination specific. If someone doesn't like my jeep or the way it's built they can kiss my a$$ or make a payment, then I'll be willing to care what they think!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Wow, some people have poor comprehension skills. Maybe the sky is lined with Unicorns and Rainbows. Dude, hello? I know this guy and have worked with him for years. What don't you get? He doesn't go "off roading" as you put it. He simply likes to pose. Its funny to me and a lot of others. To be quite honest, riding around with axes and shovels strapped to your bumpers with wingnuts going 80 down the highway is really stupid and dangerous for the other cars around. What do you think happens when the axe flies off and goes through someones windshield or the 40lb high lift jack. I know a guy who had his hi lift pipe handle fall off the back of his Jeep going down the freeway. What happens when that goes through your wife's windshield?
Oh yeah, and if you didn't care or your time was just so valueable, you wouldn't be reading this much less responding.
It's kinda like seeing a lowered dually. It'll never be used.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mulewhisperer
I have a 99 TJ Sport in the garage with a BDS lift and 33's and a JK Unlimited sitting on a lift and 35's. These are number 3 and 4 as far as lifted Jeeps with some other add on's that I have owned. All have not been off road. (That will be remedied with a trip to CO in Sept. )

To each their own. What drives them to do that stuff. Not sure. Just as I am sure people think its a shame that currently I have never been off a beaten path. But I enjoy the heck out my Jeeps and cannot imagine ever having anything else.

Here's another one for ya. One of my employees is a teenage girl. She is in college and paying her way. She has been killing herself making money to save up for...... a $500 purse. I do not see the point, but I keep my opinion to myself as I see that she really likes it.
if ur not married or fell like cheating ask her out take her on a cople dates buy the purse u definelty get sumthin

and to this threadi dont think its right for us to judge ppl on what they wanna do did u ever think that maybe his wife wont let him buy a lift or anything like that for it

everbybody says it its like the 20s on a jeep

its your jeep do whatever makes u happy
Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 AM
JK Freak

You are all a bunch of posers; now get over yourselves already would you please...
Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 AM
JK Jedi

Anyone else think it's weird or funny when you see stock daily drivers loaded down with equipment like hi lift jacks, shovels, axes, etc. Especially the stockers?
No offense to anyone but aren't these people POSERS? Maybe they just have equipment fetishes.
There is a guy at my work with a later model TJ. Bone stock except for the fake Rubicon stickers, roof rack w/ shovel, axe, 60" hi lift.
I asked him to hit up the ORV park with us and he said "I don't go off road much". His Jeep is spotless by the way with stock slicks. I doubt the hi lift has ever been unbolted from the rack.
Seems like people just like riding around with equipment weighing down their vehicle and then bitch about their gas mileage. Another JK owner I work with rides around with a huge empty hitch basket. The big ones with the fold up sides. He also has a basket mounted to the spare tire. Hanging below the basket is a 60" generic hi lift jack and gas gan. He has a multi tool mounted to the front bumper. Everthing else is stock with 29" street tires.
I guess he's worried about that 12 mile freeway drive to the office. Getting stuck in the pavement parking lot. This guy told me he has never put the Jeep in 4 wheel drive.
I guess its a pet peve of mine. Some people get way to carried away with the equipment.
I have a hi lift that is at least 25 years old. I might have used it twice in the last 10 years. It only gets brought out every now and then to the trail.
Thats my rant. I was bored at work.
I guess if you know the person you're speaking about then it is a valid statement (and kind of funny). However my Jeep is stock and I've been driving around all week in Denver with the hi-lift, and a shit-load of tools and supplies in the Jeep because of all of the trail riding. I would never carry all of that stuff unless I was going to be off-roading, but ultimately if someone wants to go for the "look" on a daily driver then more power to them. You never know, they may indeed be wheeling the Jeep regularly. You could also say better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:41 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by woffles
My Jeep is currently stock with the 32" SRAs that no one seems to like. Haven't let me down yet but I'm careful. I routinely carry in my trunk, air compressor, jumper cables, stauns, air gauge, tree saver, snatch block, tow strap, zip ties, winch remote. Until the other day I also had a fire extinguisher and shovel attached to my roll bar. I now have to relocate them due to the Trektop. I sometimes also attach my Hi-Lift to my spare tire. I've given her some Colorado pin-striping and a few good gouges in the stock skid plates. I've also added the Rubi rock bars on the sides. Don't know why they aren't standard on all Jeeps. Looks unfinished without them.

Here's a list of where I've taken my stock Jeep so far. I'm slowly working through Wells' book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" Highly suggest picking it up if you are coming out to Colorado. I've had the Jeep about 7 months. Didn't even have plates yet for her first trail and pin stripes!

No particular order, some done a few times:

Medano Pass
Metberry Gulch
Shelf Road
Phantom Canyon
Mt Baldy
Schubarth Road
Mt Herman
Rampart Range
Balanced Rock Road
Phantom Creek
Signal Butte
Manchester Creek
Couple unnamed side roads off Rampart

Slowly working my way out from the Springs and up in hardness. Hopefully next year I'll have at least 33"s, a rear locker and a lift. That will get me through almost 90% of the trails in my book. There's a few years of driving in there!!!! This is also my daily driver so I baby it the best I can and clean her up before I put her away for the day.

Here's the new Trektop on my black 2dr. I think it really goes well with this color.

First of, nice JK! I did Medano Pass a couple years back on the stock SR-As and was pleasantly surprised with their performance, not a single issue. They did suck in the NE Ohio snow though. Some of the stuff I did this week though I am glad I upgraded to the M/Ts, heavy duty rocks would make me nervous with the stock SR-As. We did Phantom Canyon to get back up to Cripple Creek and it's a beautiful drive!

Last edited by pearl-drum-man; 07-24-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think it's weird or funny