Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone else think it's weird or funny

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Jeep is currently stock with the 32" SRAs that no one seems to like. Haven't let me down yet but I'm careful. I routinely carry in my trunk, air compressor, jumper cables, stauns, air gauge, tree saver, snatch block, tow strap, zip ties, winch remote. Until the other day I also had a fire extinguisher and shovel attached to my roll bar. I now have to relocate them due to the Trektop. I sometimes also attach my Hi-Lift to my spare tire. I've given her some Colorado pin-striping and a few good gouges in the stock skid plates. I've also added the Rubi rock bars on the sides. Don't know why they aren't standard on all Jeeps. Looks unfinished without them.

Here's a list of where I've taken my stock Jeep so far. I'm slowly working through Wells' book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" Highly suggest picking it up if you are coming out to Colorado. I've had the Jeep about 7 months. Didn't even have plates yet for her first trail and pin stripes!

No particular order, some done a few times:

Medano Pass
Metberry Gulch
Shelf Road
Phantom Canyon
Mt Baldy
Schubarth Road
Mt Herman
Rampart Range
Balanced Rock Road
Phantom Creek
Signal Butte
Manchester Creek
Couple unnamed side roads off Rampart

Slowly working my way out from the Springs and up in hardness. Hopefully next year I'll have at least 33"s, a rear locker and a lift. That will get me through almost 90% of the trails in my book. There's a few years of driving in there!!!! This is also my daily driver so I baby it the best I can and clean her up before I put her away for the day.

Here's the new Trektop on my black 2dr. I think it really goes well with this color.

Last edited by woffles; 07-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

I think it's funny that I just went to some LA dealerships to start my hunt for my Wrangler and all they had were 4x2's. First of all, is that even a Jeep. In the showroom they had one decked out with massive tires, wheels, a roof cage, and it was two wheel drive. They said there are a lot of them in LA. I said it figured with all those posers here. He didn't laugh, but whatever. I'm still laughing.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Someone buys a Jeep or accessories ...doesn't use it much but buys it. That means more sales volume for the stores that sell them ... more chance for the rest of us to find stores that stock the parts/accessories.

Sometimes, the stuff gets sold used .... obviously not too used ... again, bargain for someone else. Thats how I got my camping trailer ..someone bought it new ... didn't really go often ... sold it at half price.

...........and its their stuff/money/life. I'm too busy enjoing mine to worry about the others. Hell some have said that my RME X model is a "sissy" jeep. Thats their opinion and they are allowed .... I like it and I'll still be wheeling this weekend.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got my Jeep I was worried about damaging it. Not anymore. I don't go wheeling to big events all that often. Maybe a Sunshine State trip every couple of months or so. I'm in college and I just don't have the money to do that frequently. I do go searching for every dirt road I can find especially after it rains.

I've done quite a bit of damage to my Jeep and its an X. I have seen really built Jeeps with absolutely no usage whatsoever. You see those with every type of car though. Rice burners with spoilers and crap. 4wd trucks with massive lifts and mall crawler wheels and mud terrains. European sportscars with absolutely no use of the accelerator. I could go on forever.

Point is as long as you have fun with your stuff then thats what matters. If you're not having fun then whats the point? Besides those guys are selling off their accessories for next to nothing because they can't afford the gas or their utility bill.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Good thread.

It bugs me that if your rig is "clean" you must not be "hard core". My rig is anything but clean, but I never judge a book by it's cover.

I mean come on, dont we all drive pansy jeeps with minivan engines made of plastic that surely can't make it past a mall speed bump?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think a lot of the lower reading group guys on here missed the entire point. We all know baskets, shovels, and hi lift jacks have their purposes. The point was there is absolutely NO purpose in hauling trail gear and empty baskets down the freeway on the way to the office every single day on a daily driver with 28" slicks other than being a poser. What the heck is the hi lift jack going to do anyway? This is pertaining to the people that say they do not wheel. There is nothing wrong with not wheeling your Jeep if that is your thing. Putting "wheeling equimpment" all over it is.
And no, I"m not worried about what people do, I think its cheesy/funny. And people wonder why Jeeps are turning into the new Yuppiemobile.
Its just funny. Kind of like the 350lb guy in his Xterra covered with Hyperlite decals and a wakeboard strapped to the top!

Last edited by BLACKSTONE; 07-23-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a problem with clean Jeeps. Nothing wrong with wanting a clean ride with no scratches if that is your cup of tea.

Its just funny when the spotless ride is decked out with 500lbs of untouched spotless trail gear. Then guys like the one I work with bitch about gas mileage.
I told him yesterday have you ever thought about taking the 500lbs+ of gear off of the DD? I guarantee you your gas mileage will go up 3 or 4mpg easy.

Last edited by BLACKSTONE; 07-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stlfan06
I have a 2008 2dr X. The only upgrades i have are rubicon tires and daystar spacers and I've went through more shit than probably 90% of the people on here. I don't have any "equipment" mounted on it yet, but i plan to. Just because people don't have a lift, bigger tires, etc. doesn't mean they don't wheel. I'm sure there's almost as many lifted jeeps that don't wheel as there are stock jeeps.
X2
A stock Jeep with some good tires will do more than most people care to try.

Last edited by BLACKSTONE; 07-23-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

My '09 X is 100% stock (well, I pulled out the carpet, but that doesn't count). I haven't even upgraded my tires yet (I have an extensive wish list, but bills gotta come before hobbies), and it's off pavement every chance I get. I wash it when I'm done, and get sneered at by every mall-crawler with a lift and 4k worth of wheels and tires that I see on the street. I really just don't care. The only reason I get annoyed seeing pavement only 4x4s with all the gear is I wish they'd send some of it my way if they have the money to blow on crap they don't need or use.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKSTONE
... The point was there is absolutely NO purpose in hauling trail gear and empty baskets down the freeway on the way to the office every single day on a daily driver with 28" slicks other than being a poser. ...
If the owner wants to do that, so what? It's safe to assume he wouldn't do that if he didn't enjoy it. I know people who build telescopes, but hardly ever look through them. To them, the challenge is building a great scope--they're really not all that interested in the night sky (or the day sky if the sun is your thing). Maybe what's weird are people who poke their noses into other peoples' lives, trying to fit them into their own idea of what they ought to do with their time, money, telescopes or Jeeps.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think it's weird or funny