Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone else think it's weird or funny

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else think it's weird or funny

Anyone else think it's weird or funny when you see stock daily drivers loaded down with equipment like hi lift jacks, shovels, axes, etc. Especially the stockers?
No offense to anyone but aren't these people POSERS? Maybe they just have equipment fetishes.
There is a guy at my work with a later model TJ. Bone stock except for the fake Rubicon stickers, roof rack w/ shovel, axe, 60" hi lift.
I asked him to hit up the ORV park with us and he said "I don't go off road much". His Jeep is spotless by the way with stock slicks. I doubt the hi lift has ever been unbolted from the rack.
Seems like people just like riding around with equipment weighing down their vehicle and then bitch about their gas mileage. Another JK owner I work with rides around with a huge empty hitch basket. The big ones with the fold up sides. He also has a basket mounted to the spare tire. Hanging below the basket is a 60" generic hi lift jack and gas gan. He has a multi tool mounted to the front bumper. Everthing else is stock with 29" street tires.
I guess he's worried about that 12 mile freeway drive to the office. Getting stuck in the pavement parking lot. This guy told me he has never put the Jeep in 4 wheel drive.
I guess its a pet peve of mine. Some people get way to carried away with the equipment.
I have a hi lift that is at least 25 years old. I might have used it twice in the last 10 years. It only gets brought out every now and then to the trail.
Thats my rant. I was bored at work.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Freak

i see a hummer around my neighborhood thats the same way... and you can tell by the look of it, there is more wax on than there is in a Yankee Candle store!

oh yeah, its driven my the highest of high maintenance girls!

some people have too much money and nothing better to do with it
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 99 TJ Sport in the garage with a BDS lift and 33's and a JK Unlimited sitting on a lift and 35's. These are number 3 and 4 as far as lifted Jeeps with some other add on's that I have owned. All have not been off road. (That will be remedied with a trip to CO in Sept. )

To each their own. What drives them to do that stuff. Not sure. Just as I am sure people think its a shame that currently I have never been off a beaten path. But I enjoy the heck out my Jeeps and cannot imagine ever having anything else.

Here's another one for ya. One of my employees is a teenage girl. She is in college and paying her way. She has been killing herself making money to save up for...... a $500 purse. I do not see the point, but I keep my opinion to myself as I see that she really likes it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

LOL!!

I was told that becuase my Rubi 4-door was "stock" other then the leveling kit, that I shouldnt need a winch / jackall / all my other goodies, becuase I never take mine off road.

Well I've owned mine for 8 months now, and it's only seen the few KM's of road it takes to get to work, other than that, I am in the bush....pole lines, what ever needs to be done to get somewhere to say "cool....i made it"

Actually I feel bad because my jeep looked nice the first week I had it, then it was FULL of scratches, a few dents and what not. I should say, I felt bead because the WIFE was uspet.....LOL

But There is an H2 out where I live, done to the tits, and when I asked him if I ever needed help could I call him to pull me out.....he said he never goes offroad, its a "show truck"......LOL "okay sir, you know whats best"
Old 07-23-2009, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw a guy locally in St. Louis here who's got what (from the front) looked like an Unlimited X that has every part you can get from a Q-Tec catalog. Roof rack, light guards, windshield lights, shovels, hi-lift, etc. Running on 28" stockers. He followed me for a bit and I wanted to stop and talk to him so I pulled over. Kept on going. Wonder if he ever wheels it.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it is weird and funny that people are so concerned on what other people do with their own stuff
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep in mind that the shovel, hi-lift, etc. may not even be for the jeep (even though it is mounted on it). Some people have jobs that use large equipment like tractors that get stuck or break down. Hi-lift jacks used to be called "farm jacks."

Just throwing that out there.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Don't judge a book by its cover. I was at Wal-Mart the other day and as I was
walking into the store, I see a white, four door JK. I realize that it's my pastor
(he's a longtime Jeep owner). So, we talk for a few minutes and I notice a TJ
with a Hi-lift on the hood drive up and park next to my Jeep (with a Hi-lift on
the hood). He gets out and does a quick walk-around of my Jeep, then, as
he's walking into the store, I greet him and identify myself as the owner of the
JK. His first remark: "You don't wheel that, do you?" I explain that I do wheel
it occasionally, having been to Sedona, Disney, and Moab, including Easter
Jeep Safari. "It's awful damn clean. Surely you don't really wheel it?" Yes, I
do, and I'm headed back to Moab in August. "Looks too damn clean to be
really wheeled. Didn't see any damage, either."

I explain that the hardtop got crunched at Disney, that I had to replace a tire
that I ripped the sidewall on after Disney, that the SS was toast and a new
one on order, that there was trail pinstriping in the paint, that a close look at
the wheels would reveal where the Teflon coating was worn through from
rocks, and that the drag link was more like a wet noodle than a piece of steel
after the times it had been bent. And that didn't even include the hail
damage. "What hail damage?" "You didn't see the hail damage? You must
not have looked very closely at my Jeep!"

I figured his mind was made up. I didn't explain that I'd just washed it the
day before because I'd added new tube doors and wanted to get some pic's
(one of which will be used in an ORF advertisement in the near future). After
leaving the store I took a look at his Jeep. It was filthy. He obviously had
been mudding without the doors on, and didn't ever bother to clean it. It was
a Sahara with the stock sidesteps and they were beat to hell. Maybe he
expected my Shrockworks rock rails to look like that, but they're just too
strong. His stock bumpers were also all beat up. Again, a Shrockworks front
bumper has come through despite the scrapes at Disney and Moab.

So, as I said up front: Don't judge a book by its cover. Regardless, what
someone does with their Jeep--say, make it look like a JK would in military
regalia today--is his business.

Here's pic's I took that morning, BTW:

Here's the hail damage he didn't see:

And here's some of the wheeling I've "never" done:

Old 07-23-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

I'd have to agree with Mark here on this one. This past school year one of my student's parents had a very sweet TJ Sahara with a 4in" lift, bumpers, winch, etc... I wound up talking to him shortly after I got my JK and came to the how much off roading question. His answer, once in the four years he's had it. I couldn't figure it out, but then he also said he hated taking the top off too because of how much work it was.

Yeah, don't judge a Jeep by it's looks...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2008 2dr X. The only upgrades i have are rubicon tires and daystar spacers and I've went through more shit than probably 90% of the people on here. I don't have any "equipment" mounted on it yet, but i plan to. Just because people don't have a lift, bigger tires, etc. doesn't mean they don't wheel. I'm sure there's almost as many lifted jeeps that don't wheel as there are stock jeeps.

Quick Reply: Anyone else think it's weird or funny