Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone else conflicted about mods?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else conflicted about mods?

With all the awesome JK's on here, it makes me want to mod mine. I've done a few small things already, but I'd like to have bumpers, a winch, suspension lift, large tires, regear, and more. Here is where I"ll probably start to show my age...I realize that I don't really NEED these mods, and since it's very expensive to build a JK, I feel conflicted. I've done some trails in Moab and in California, and my current setup has worked perfectly for me. I don't anticipate doing any extreme trails. I did Fins n Things in Moab. I may eventually do something slightly more difficult than that, but not much.

So are there any of you that feel the same? Do you want mods, but know that for what you do it's not really necessary? Did you go ahead and spend the $$$, or are you happy with your Jeep as is? I guess I want to have an awesome Jeep, but the responsible side of me says I should not spend the $$$, since it's not money that will be recouped when the Jeep is sold years down the road.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i feel the same basically , when i got my jeep i was looking at a high dollar rubicon , but realistically i would never use all its potential , even my sport has alot of potential just with decent tires , if i was a true hard core off roader with plenty of spare cash i would mod the hell out of it , but aside from some stuff that would " be nice" i really dont need alot , i know where u comin from
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty simple decision for me. The mods I've done are listed below. Not that much, really.

Any more mods will come when and if I can't do what I want to do with the Jeep. When I find a weak link, I will either make the necessary mod(s) or not try that trail again.

So, in a year or two I may be running the same setup or have a very modified rig. I'll let the Jeep tell me what it needs.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a semi modded 97 TJ Sport i ordered new......and sold to a friend.....then a 04 TJ Rubicon that i got new that had 35's, AEV Highline, 5.13's, cromo axles, CTM joints, skids, tummy tuck, winch, bumpers, rack carrier, wheels, ehaust, intake, chip, rocker skids, stereo, rear ARB after the stock rubi locker blew up, OME coils then AEV coils, JKS arms then Currie arms, Currie steering, snorkel, etc, etc. And was in the driveway working on it constanty...tweeking, replacing etc. New everything and still had a shake i couldn't get rid of....tires maybe rims maybe......I was out of money and patience. My Jeeps were always my DD and only vehicle.....

I too may be showing my age a bit. I used to like the hard challenges and rought stuff.....now i mostly want to explore and camp.....maybe a challenge here or there.

So fast forward to the release of the 2012 JKs.........I found one at a local dealer......test drove it, and left my old Rubi on the lot. A lot of money, time, and fun were had in that Jeep......but i had had it. It looked so awsome but was a pain to work on all the time.

so ive had my JK Rubi since August and its been to Ouray Jeep Jam in Co and Moab, so far its awesome in stock form and will suit my needs no issue. Ive done little mods, CB install, replaced my Viair 400P with a ARB hard mount under the hood, and a Muffler Skid. New floor liners......got an ARB freezer/fridge. Some grab handles and fire extungishers.....first aid kit. I got a new hi-lift jack and the winching kit, along with my old recovery gear instead of a winch......i winch i hardly used on my last 2 Jeeps........a winch that sags the suspension and makes the front end dive......

Ok im getting long winded but the moral is.........I want to mod my JK but it works awesome as it sits and its under warrenty and gets decent MPG, nice to drive long distances, quiet, so as awesome as all the JKs are on here and around town.....I'm keeping mine pretty stock. So at least there will be the two of us hahahaha so your not alone....
Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
I had a semi modded 97 TJ Sport i ordered new......and sold to a friend.....then a 04 TJ Rubicon that i got new that had 35's, AEV Highline, 5.13's, cromo axles, CTM joints, skids, tummy tuck, winch, bumpers, rack carrier, wheels, ehaust, intake, chip, rocker skids, stereo, rear ARB after the stock rubi locker blew up, OME coils then AEV coils, JKS arms then Currie arms, Currie steering, snorkel, etc, etc. And was in the driveway working on it constanty...tweeking, replacing etc. New everything and still had a shake i couldn't get rid of....tires maybe rims maybe......I was out of money and patience. My Jeeps were always my DD and only vehicle.....

I too may be showing my age a bit. I used to like the hard challenges and rought stuff.....now i mostly want to explore and camp.....maybe a challenge here or there.

So fast forward to the release of the 2012 JKs.........I found one at a local dealer......test drove it, and left my old Rubi on the lot. A lot of money, time, and fun were had in that Jeep......but i had had it. It looked so awsome but was a pain to work on all the time.

so ive had my JK Rubi since August and its been to Ouray Jeep Jam in Co and Moab, so far its awesome in stock form and will suit my needs no issue. Ive done little mods, CB install, replaced my Viair 400P with a ARB hard mount under the hood, and a Muffler Skid. New floor liners......got an ARB freezer/fridge. Some grab handles and fire extungishers.....first aid kit. I got a new hi-lift jack and the winching kit, along with my old recovery gear instead of a winch......i winch i hardly used on my last 2 Jeeps........a winch that sags the suspension and makes the front end dive......

Ok im getting long winded but the moral is.........I want to mod my JK but it works awesome as it sits and its under warrenty and gets decent MPG, nice to drive long distances, quiet, so as awesome as all the JKs are on here and around town.....I'm keeping mine pretty stock. So at least there will be the two of us hahahaha so your not alone....
I can totally relate to this. After selling my '07 JKU that had a some electrical issues, I bought an LJ Rubicon thinking old technology might be less hassle. My plan was to build it up and finally have a Jeep like I wanted. Well I did, build it up that is. I worked and worked on the LJ, as you did on your TJ, only to issues which led to more and more work. Finally was able to cure the death wobble it had, but never got it totally right. I gave up and started over with my new Rubicon. Like you, I"m more into exploring, camping, and adventure, and not as much into hardcore wheeling.

I guess after issues with the last two Jeeps, I just don't want any more headaches. These Jeeps are pretty amazing in stock form, and they drive so nice on long trips, that I think I'm a bit afraid of messing that up. Yet I still want a certain look. I guess I still want to be cool, before I get too old. While I have the funds to do the mods I want, I feel that I should do the more responsible thing and keep it more practical. But when I was younger I would have just done the mods and not looked back. So I guess I'm torn on what to do.

Last edited by jckid; 01-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

i think for most people we don't need the 'big' mods based on actual usage, but we choose to do so because it is part of the fun of having a jeep. by 'big' i mean the suspension, axles, shafts, 35"+ tires, etc.....but we do it because as different and distinctive as Jeeps are compared to most vehicles, the mods are what makes them "our" Jeep. what one jeeper likes will cause another to raise an eyebrow or scratch their head. but to each their own i say.

when it comes to mods that are essential and should seriously be considered i look at things a few ways. what can i do that will enhance/improve the jeep as a DD? what can i do t enhance/improve the jeep offroad that may save my ass on the trail?

the changes for DD are varied and can be as low or high-tech as needed based on the owner. it can range from an upgraded sound system, to slush mats to seat covers. what will make the jeep better for you daily.

when it comes to trail use upgrades i think of what do i need to carry with or install on the jeep that can help me in an emergency. recovery gear, trail gear (shovel, axe), fire extinguisher, first aid, zombie kit to cb. these are vital and should be with us all the time once you pull off the pavement. you may think you will never need any of it, but the one time you will need any of it you will be grateful for being prepared. for the DD driver that sees only light to moderate trail use, i think the addition of winch/bumper is crucial.

two years ago i stuck offroad in my old WJ, first time i have ever got stuck in my life. like many i went venturing offroad with nothing, but my luck becasue i never get stuck. well trails can be funny sometimes and hide something you won't see until its to late and then suddenly you are miles away from help and by yourself. i was cruising a mild logging trail in the fall in N Wisconsin. all the fallen leaves did a great job of disguising a mud pit that was 3'+ deep. what appeared to be just the trail continuing forward and covered in leafs turned into a bog. as soon as i hit it, i knew i was in trouble. i got through it and went ahead but the trail forward was blocked by fallen trees (logging road remember), so i had to turn around and go back through the pit. i ended up stuck and up to one hub on one side, when i stopped before it got worse.

all i had was a cellphone and a hiking gps (thank god). i ended up getting a tow truck out there but he got stuck. it turned into a 3 hour ordeal of getting him out and then me. if i had a winch, shovel and axe with me i know for certain i would have got out with no issue.

the point to the long story is if you are going to go offroad, you better have the means to get yourself out. help isn't always available

Quick Reply: Anyone else conflicted about mods?