Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: ever popped the safety valve on your co2 tank?
Yes
50.00%
No
33.33%
What the hell are you talking about?
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone blow their co2 safety valve in the heat?

Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone blow their co2 safety valve in the heat?

Last week I got my 10lbs co2 tank filled and over the weekend I noticed it was empty. Turned out I had blown the safety valve due to the heat. I had the top off and the tank is mounted to the top of my Tuffy security deck (black) Must have got too hot and popped the valve. I got a replacement tank today and immediately let out some air so the tank won't start out as full and will have a little room to expand in the heat.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and possible suggestions for keeping it from happening again.

I'll try to figure out the sweet spot for how much co2 to have in my 10lbs tank which will leave enough room for expansion on the hot summer days.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never done it with the style tank you are talking about, but have done it many time with paintball tanks. Best bet is to add a guage and keep it's pressure below what the safety blow off is designed to dump at. I think most of the blowoffs I've seen are 1800-2100 psi.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TROUPP
Never done it with the style tank you are talking about, but have done it many time with paintball tanks. Best bet is to add a guage and keep it's pressure below what the safety blow off is designed to dump at. I think most of the blowoffs I've seen are 1800-2100 psi.
I wasn't even around to monitor it, I had been keeping my tank in the Jeep all day while parked at work. I imagine that is where it was when it went off.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default no problems yet

Have a tank on my back rollbar and it is full. Over the last 3-4 days we have had upper 80 to lower 90 temps here in denver and I have had no problem at all. In fact I went and checked because of this post Also my top is off so it is in the direct sunlight most of the day while im in at work. Just my two cents though!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Hmm, It might be because mine is mounted right on the black security deck that it is absorbing more heat. I may have to make some sort of aluminum heat shield for it.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

It would have to get extremely hot to do that. My black tank is on the back bar, totally exposed to sun on 110+ days and I've never had it blow due to heat, and the tank surface will easily reach 170. the only time it blew was due to either the tank being overfilled or a bad release valve, can't tell after it blows.

I would say odds are it did not blow due to the heat but rather due to either being overfilled or the release valve was in need of replacement.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
It would have to get extremely hot to do that. My black tank is on the back bar, totally exposed to sun on 110+ days and I've never had it blow due to heat, and the tank surface will easily reach 170. the only time it blew was due to either the tank being overfilled or a bad release valve, can't tell after it blows.

I would say odds are it did not blow due to the heat but rather due to either being overfilled or the release valve was in need of replacement.
That makes me feel a little better, thanks. It was a busted ass old beat to hell tank anyway that they had swapped out. This time I got a nice shiny one. Looks like it is about 85 out in the parking lot right now, I guess I just need to stop worrying, but still keep and eye on it. Otherwise, just carry the tank on trips when I will need it.

Quick Reply: Anyone blow their co2 safety valve in the heat?