Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the only regret i have is that i didnt buy one sooner!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Why is that? Never seen a problem with mine much less heard anything about edisc problems, will learn something new here.
I think he meant if he upgraded its hard to wire them if they did not come stock. I would have to agree, I bought a disco motor when I found out they had them for 85 bucks last year. I sold it to a guy on here in Colorado Springs.

However. After adding costs up the Rubi is still cheaper then upgrading after the fact. I had an X brand new and always wished i had bought the RUBI, well this time (4 years later) I got exactly what I wanted.

Granted I paid 29000 for a fully loaded Rubicon. Locally they wanted 35,000 but I bought mine when I was in Iraq.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
Insurance Cost:
I could nearly insure 2 Jeeps for the price to insure only 1 Rubi.
My Rubi costs 50 dollars a month, I am married and over 25 and military. That might be why.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

There is one thing you do need to consider. Everything on my Rubicon is covered by a LIFETIME WARRANTY. If you buy a X even if you get the Mopar parts they will NOT be covered under a lifetime warranty from DC. This is why I got a Rubicon. I wanted to spend more time on the trails than in my garage adding things I could of had on it already. If it could have arrived from the dealer with 37" tires a 5 inch lift and a 6.1L Hemi I would have ordered like that as well! So, I have a few things to add still but not as much as someone with a X has to add..

If you do decide on getting the X the first thing you should get is the Lockers. They make a world of difference!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Ike
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread.

I had an '06 LJ Rubicon with the 6-sp. Here in washington state there is all kinds of places to get into plenty of trouble offroad. I never modified it, really. I had warn bumpers front and rear, an XD9000 winch, and some KC's up on the windshield and called it done. That thing went everywhere and I beat the crap out of it, wheeling just about anywhere that's open here in WA and looked winchable if I got in over my head. I absolutely loved my Rubi. I've been wheeling for quite a while and am no stranger to trails, and was repeatedly blown away with the rubicon's abilities. The drivetrain was stout. I sold my hardtop, ran top-down or off most of the time and the carpet was stored away after the 2nd or 3rd month. The LJ was light, locked, and geared and with good tire placement, one could surmount many a feat despite groans and clenched teeth of onlookers. The somewhat unknown LSD hiding in the rear diff when not locked was also a lot of fun on wet pavement! It's a shame they didn't carry this diff over to the JK's.

Well, times change, I'm not getting any younger and my daughter at 7 years was starting to need a real back-seat with a headrest as she looks to transition out of the booster seat. I decided that I wanted the four-door Rubi and went to trade in. Man o' man! They are really proud of the new JK rubicon unlimited and we couldn't find one inexpensive enough to meet my payment requirements. The sales feller sensing my reluctance to give up my Rubi caught on and had somebody pull around this beauty of an X. At first I wasn't interested but they kept saying "it's got most everything the rubicon does - just have a look!"

me: "no there's no lockers or tcase in that thing - I already have a great jeep - it's not worth the trade! That one over there has seen about 60% of it's time in the dirt."

sales guys: "no just look - it's got a full locker, not on the front, granted. take er' for a spin out back!"

After swallowing my pride I walked over to took a look at the sticker. Lo and behold!

- HD suspension / S package
- 17" Moabs w/ 255-70's
- Rear D44 with TrueLock diff (same as rubi)
- Electronic swaybar disconnect
- towing package with 3.73 gearing
- 6-speed manual
- power windows / power locks
- dual-tops / freedom top and softop
- steel blue metallic paint

A quick loop down the road and I was beyond sold. Not only does this X have most everything my Rubi had, it somehow drove like a minivan as well. Sadly, I must admit, this was a selling point

I've not wheeled any difficult trails with the X yet but the limited amount I have done indicates that this is a more capable vehicle than I would have given it credit for. The traction control and the "BLD" seem pretty solid for trail work. From experience with Land Rovers I know that these systems are highly effective and the Jeep's new system seems even better.

with all the wheelbase it does need some lift - I'm hoping that the 3.73's will be friendly with 33" muds on the moabs. all in all I'm pretty happy so far.

fwiw
Old 07-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Shortbuss
Love my X. I am not a hardcore wheeler and could not justify the extra $$. If I need lockers I will put them in later. The BLD and LS work wonders.
x2 on the bld's, these are what sold me on the x as I would not have a jeep with open diffs! They really do work a lot better than people know, and can even turn the wheel on the ground if the other wheel is in the air! If budget is a factor, go with x, it can do many many things a rubi can, the bld's will get you through most that a locker will, but not as smoothly. Locked is still by far the best choice.

but as far as regrets, I personally regret not getting a rubi cuz I could have afforded it easily, just didn't think I wanted one! I would have gotten one with no options on it, and the only thing that comes standard that I wouldn't have been real happy about paying for is the electronic disconnect sway bar. I hate the fact you are forced to pay 1000 for it when it is so easy to unbolt for free, plus I don't trust the electronics in it to never fail.

That being said, I wheel a lot in my x, and the only limiting factors/complaints as far as capability is the stock sr-a wranglers suck and 3.21 gears with 32's suck too, but I compensate offroad by doing all my wheeling in 4lo, so it is not that bad, just a pain on the road.

If money is a factor, you will not be dissapointed with an x! Get the base model with vinyl seats!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rub61
Saw only one mention of the lifetime warranty. Being retired this was a huge deal for me. After considering how aftermarket parts might affect warranty bought Rubicon to get as much capability in the initial package.
Must note that I qualified for affiliate rewards program and if I had not my descisions may have been different since, from what I have heard, dealers are really gouging most Rubicon buyers
Yes this is another reason I should have bought a rubi, I do a lot of wheeling, but don't plan on modding at all. (but every jeep should have decent tires and extend your breathers!) The warranty is a big deal to me as this is the vehicle I drive for work. O well I will have this bad boy paid off in 18 months total, and then trade it in on a rubi to keep the rest of my life. A rubi with tranny/transfer/diff breathers extended/winch and o/r bumpers, that is a rig that I would be happy with the rest of my life!

(wish I didn't have to pay for that damn electronic sway bar disconnect system!)
Old 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Wish I would have bought a Rubi .....oh wait ...I did get the Rubi

But If I had plans for an ALL-OUT rock-crawler an X would be perfect, Curry D60's f/r, Atlas, blah blah blah. I wanted a daily driver I could go crawling most places and enjoy it on the road as well, nothing wrong with an X or Sahara, they are all good Jeeps
Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

I unfortunately couldnt afford the Rubi so I purchased the X. It has done everythinig and then some I have asked out of it. I know the Rubi has a few upgrades but for the price I couldnt swing it. I have lifted my X upgraded the gears, front bumper, rear bumper, winch, lockers and tires cheaper than what I could have bought a stock Rubi for. Plus some of the bells and whistles on the Rubi in my opinion were not worth it. It really boils down to what you really want out of your Jeep and what you can afford. Either way I dont think you will be disappointed. They are both VERY capable and great to wheel.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want to be able to do serious off raoding without voiding your warranty get a Rubi. I bought an X because my wallet was'nt big enough. Now I want lockers front and rear and an electronic disconecting sway bar. I am going to spend a ton of money to get all the MOPAR axles and the sway bar and have the stealership put them in. I absolutely love my jeep but Iserriously regret not getting a Rubi.

Quick Reply: Any X owners regret not getting a Rubicon?